Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Busy week

I haven't had a blog entry for a long time.  I have been on the road a LOT and just haven't had the time to  pass on my travels.  I am trying to get back into a routine again.  
One of Bud's aunts died a week or so ago and there was a memorial service this past Sunday.  Bud really wanted to go to this service but since it was in Washington D.C. I was surprised that he decided to make it happen.  I was away with Leo and talking about the possibility of this trip and Leo encouraged me to just go along.  I took his advice and was up and on the road with him Saturday morning at 6:00 in the morning.  We drove all day and were in D.C. by bedtime. The weather cooperated and we made good time.  Bud's brother also drove up from N. Carolina so we stayed at the same hotel. We met briefly that evening and again for breakfast in the morning.  We spent some very nice time talking with David and catching up with his family and their activities. 
The service was at 2:00 and a very nice memorial.  I had only met her once but she was well loved by her children and grandchildren.  After the service we went over to his Uncle Tom's house for a while before heading home again.  
 This is a picture of David (Bud's brother) Bud, and Warren (another Warren in the family) his cousin and Warren's grandchild.
 David, Uncle Tom and Bud.  Uncle Tom is the youngest of the aunts and uncles in the family and IS a rocket scientist, retired from NASA.
 He loves cars and airplanes.  This is his newest sports car, it has a Corvett frame and engine but a Cadillac body, or at least that is what I remember.  I'm not much of a car person so I didn't pay a lot of attention.

We drove a couple of hours north of D.C. on Sunday night and then spent the night.  Monday morning we were on the road again and had a very easy drive home with great weather.  
We stopped briefly in Clare to see Leo.  He has a new SHORT haircut which is only about a week old so it really doesn't look a lot like him.  They cut it quite short on the sides this time. I think it is a new barber.  Anyway, we stopped to see him and were home in time to have dinner and sleep in our own beds.

SO, 760 miles one way to D.C. was quite a trip for just a weekend but family connections and honoring the memories of others is important so we did it.  The weather cooperated which was just lucky for the winter but we were thankful for that bonus.  Now I will try to get back into my routine again.

No comments:

Post a Comment