Saturday, October 18, 2014

A Northern Michigan Fall Weekend


 Last weekend was a beautiful weekend in Traverse City.  The weather was perfect with the fall air and the leaves showing off.  I used this wonderful weekend to spend time with a friend and explore Leland.
Friday night I went to a great quilt show with my friend Kathy and her daughter in law.  There were over 200 quilts to look at and we had a wonderful time exploring different techniques and patterns.  Casey is thinking of taking up quilting although she has a cute little son to watch over and has just moved here from Vermont so I am sure that her time is limited for too many hobbies.  This was a good way to introduce her to the hobby though.
 Saturday I decided to drive north to the little town of Leland.  It was a spectacular drive with the sun lighting up the trees and the leaves so beautiful.  Here I am overlooking 'Fishtown'  This part is full of cute little shops and I just wandered around checking out the 'tourists'  and pretending to be one for the day.
 Fish Town has been around for a long time and is a popular place for visitors to explore.  I do it about once a year in the fall.
 The REAL reason I went to Leland was the annual Fiber Arts Show.  It is small but I like to check it out every year.  I didn't buy anything but did enjoy the artists.
This is my favorite artist. She was the 'featured artist' last year.  I sat and talked with her a little this year since she wasn't quite a busy.  I LOVE this style of Art Quilt but am totally lost as to how to make them.  The color combination and the technique fascinate me.  I really don't know how to start this kind of project.  I think I need to just explore smaller pieces.  She advised me to learn more about color and to just begin.  All the fabrics in this piece are solids not prints.  I usually use some kind of print or batik in my pieces.  I don't have a large supply of solids and am reluctant to go out and buy some as I have a LARGE stash of fabrics that I have already bought.  But, like I said, maybe small pieces would be a good start.
This is more my style lately.  I started this piece a couple of days ago.  I am planning on keeping this one for myself.  I have made a couple like this  before but have given them to someone else.  I think I will hang this one in my dining room.  
This is a quilt that I just finished.  Someone at my quilt group gave me the center part of this quilt.  It had been given to the group from a family that their mother died and it wasn't finished.  I put the borders around it and will give it as a charity quilt back to the group unless someone in MY family wants it. (Let me know if it suits you and your style) It really isn't my style of fabrics but it is nice.
While I was enjoying the out of doors Bud went for his last motorcycle ride with a friend.  The toys are being put away for another winter.

SO. the beautiful weekend was not wasted on us.  That is a good thing since it is raining this weekend and the air is a lot colder.  It is still beautiful outside my window but more of a warning that soon it will all be white.  I will enjoy this beauty and try not to think of the snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment