Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Trick or Treat

Hey, I just needed to get with the season.  Yes, I have put out my Fall/Halloween decorations this Year.  I was a little slow but at least they were out by the first of October.  I sprinkled a few thanksgiving decorations among them so I am set until the end of November with the exception of removing the really Halloween looking decorations like this cute little plate.  
 I have quite a set of little decorative plates that have been collected over the years, one for each month and then some.  Several of the ladies in my life have similar sets.  We started collecting them before they became a 'thing' so we were 'trend setters'.
SO, what have I been doing with myself lately????  This is one of my latest projects.  I showed you the start of it a while ago and this is the finished product.  I am taking it to my quilt group today and then I am going to hang it in my dining room.  When I was at the quilt show a couple of weeks ago I noticed that some people are starting to mount their pieces on stretched canvas.  I liked the concept and am going to try it with this one.  I will paint a canvas a gray color and then put the piece on the canvas with the gray paint as the frame.  I will show it to you when it is finished.  I think that is a new a good idea for displaying quilts.  There is a lot of turquoise blue in this piece because that is our 'accent' color in our living and dining room.  I am still decorating that space even though we bought the new furniture almost a year ago.  I am not fast at decorating.

This is another piece that I am finishing.  This one is a pattern that I found on line.  I thought it looked interesting.  Of course I used my colors for this piece.  I love the way it turned out.  Right now I am working on sewing down the flowers and then I am planning to do the quilting on this myself.  My quilter has been encouraging me to try and do my own smaller pieces so I will give this one a try.  It is really quite big even though it may not look like it in the picture.  I think it is about 40"x 50" but I did one this big a couple of years ago so I am willing to give it a try.  I won't go fancy with my quilting though  I will do a lot of straight lines because this piece already has a lot going on and doesn't need any more fussing.  I am planning to stretch this over a frame too.  I will have to get Bud to make a frame for me on this one  though.  (I made the other one to fit a canvas but didn't do it for this one.)  I am planning on hanging this one over the fireplace or in our entrance.  I am really pleased at hou it turned out so far.

Bud has been busy getting everything ready for winter.  Lately he has been working on our front door.  He has decided that we need a storm door there to keep the cold out.  I am not that fond of storm doors but I understand the reason for it and know that cold air comes in around that door a lot.  When he gets the outside things done I want him to help me with a few inside projects.  First I want to change those hanging banners in our entrance way.  I plan to hang some quilts there and change them with the seasons.  I already have two ready to go and would work on more if I had a place to hang them.  I am also thinking of painting our dining room a different color and doing something to the wall that has all my family pictures on it.  Maybe I should invite Eva up when I am ready. She loves to paint and decorate.

Thaaaat's all  from up north this week.  I am off to my quilt group.

No comments:

Post a Comment