Monday, November 30, 2015

I am thankful for a wonderful weekend

We started out our Thanksgiving weekend on Tuesday by driving down to Grand Rapids to see family.  I will start by apologizing for the length of this post but a LOT happened.
 Sara, Leo and their little ones came early and were there when we arrived.  We hadn't seen them since the spring so it was good to have some time to see them and catch up with their busy lives.  Gram loved having her grandchildren around too.
 The youngest little one was there too.  She continues to grow and become cuter and cuter every time I see her. 
 Eva enjoyed having her around too.  She stayed at her house all day on Tuesday and Wednesday.  She loved having her grandchildren around for extended time. 
 Matt, Diana and the girls arrived Wednesday afternoon.  I brought along this car race track that was a big hit with all ages. 
 Isak especially loves trucks but everyone enjoyed playing with the race track set.  I sent it home with these two little ones,   I am sure that they will get more use from it at home. 
 Eva fixed a great dinner of ribs and mac-n-cheese.  We kind of let her cook her own birthday dinner but she IS a great cook.
 We didn't let he bake her own cake.  Jessica gave me the name of a good bakery and a family favorite kind of cake.  Eva was surrounded by her grandchildren and she loved every minute of the birthday celebration.
 This little one loved the cake too. 
 Afterward we had gifts.  The grandchildren were great helpers with the unwrapping.
 Sara is  wonderful artist and this was her gift to Eva.
 Then we had gifts for Isak and Sofi since their birthdays are coming up soon.  I wanted to give them my gifts while they were visiting. 
 Nothing like a little fun with Uncle Matt.  I don't know who ws having more fun?
 Thursday was a big cooking day.  Leo arrived from Coleman and as you can see, the guys liked watching football before the dinner. 
 And the girls cooked. 
 After dinner the turkey really put the guys to sleep after so much time and effort eating a wonderful dinner.
 Sorry guys but I just couldn't resist taking pictures.
 My wonderful husband really zonked out.
 After naps by the kids and the men, we had a late afternoon dessert of pie.  Leo said it was time for him to head home, before the last important activity of taking the family picture.
 Furniture had to be rearranged. 
 Several pictures were taken.  I am not as picky about everyone looking at the camera so my pictures aren't as good as the official picture. 
 I did my best but it seems it is hard to get everyone looking at the camera with their eyes open and smiling especially when you have so many little ones. 
 After pictures there was cookie decorating. 
 Everyone was involved. 
 Even the little ones had a good time although I am sure that the frosting knives were licked a few times. 
 He looks a little serious as he decorates his cookies. 
 Then Eva wanted to give Sara, Leo and their kids their Christmas presents.  It was a wonderful little time watching them open their gifts. 
 The big blocks and the trucks were a hit.
 Friday morning Sara and Leo headed home and everyone else went out to Horocks to buy Christmas trees.  The selection process went VERY quickly this year.  Jess and Doug found this great one for their house.
 Diana was very happy with her choice and surprised at finding it so quickly.  I know they have trees in Tenn. but they are MUCH less expensive here and it has become a tradition to take one home with them. 
 Everyone was happy, they only had to find one for Eva and that was a pretty easy process too.
 Meanwhile B. and I went inside and did a little shopping.  The two of us love to pretend and have fun shopping. 
 That night the tree went up in Eva's living room while she had a crew to help with the lights.  Unfortunately some of them had some problems with their fuse but she solved it later.  The grandchildren were able to help decorate some.
 Everyone got into the act.
 Lots of photo opportunities.
 Even the smallest one was a good helper. 
 Saturday morning Matt and Diana started for home.  Bud and I stayed on to help with the cleanup and decorations. I often put up the old tree from our farm, filled with Mom's decorations.  Once again I completed that little task.  I have put that tree up many times, both at the farm and at Eva's house. It is always a little trip down memory lane, using the old decorations that Mom collected.  I am sure that some of them are almost as old as me. 
 Meanwhile, Bud ran the vacuum and then put together Eva's gift to Jessica's little one. It is a step stool that she can use to get to the sink and help with the meal prep. 
Jessica and Doug checked it over and pronounced it perfect for future use.

SO.....  You can see that I took a lot of pictures and had a great time.  I am very thankful for my sister and her family.  They are very precious and we are so happy to have them in our lives. 

1 comment:

  1. Perfect Thanksgiving visit! Thanks for the pics. And the lattes: )

    ReplyDelete