Sunday, May 12, 2013

The week in review

I guess I haven't written a post this week.  I don't exactly know why but maybe just laziness??   I have been working on some cool projects though.  I started making some of my baskets again.   It is fun to have projects that I can complete quickly, not like making a whole quilt.  Sara asked for some baskets to keep toys in for the babies so I went to work and created these baskets for her. 
 They are all quite big and have these little handles in the side.  This one has a decoration on the side,  I was trying to cover up the fact that I am not too good at the "finishing" last row so I put some flowers to cover up the end.
 This one is a little smaller and I just wound the end so that takes care of the problem of ending nicely.  I learned this little trick from my friend Kathy.  
 The third one is ended the same way but with a button in the middle to give it a little extra.
 And finally you can see that they stack inside each other.  That was my goal and I did accomplish it quite well.  I sent her some pictures and will send them out to her soon.
 Thursday of this last week I took a class with my friend MaryAnne.  We were learning how to make this cool bag, kind of a 'market' bag that holds a lot of stuff.  I don't know what I am going to use mine for but I liked the sample and we decided it would be fun to make and spend the day together.
 I made mine of all batik fabrics but you can't see it here.  I will show it off when I am done.
 This is the teacher's bag.  Mine will be different because the fabrics will be more to my taste and I put on long handles that will go across the body.  It was fun and I enjoyed the day of sewing, lunch and the companionship of a friend.
 I am also working on making table runners for Brittany's wedding.  I finished the first 3 this past week and showed them to her.  Both Sue and Brittany gave their approval so I will be making about 20 more.  I finished cutting the fabric yesterday and have started the hemming process.  I am using some special hemming material that only requires me to iron it to make the hems so it is pretty easy.  Her theme is nautical and the colors are blue and white so I am sure that this will look great on the tables.
Today we went to a concert at a local 'tavern'.  This is my friend MaryAnne in the middle and her two daughters beside her.  It was a wonderful concert for a Mother's Day.

The weather has turned on us here in Northern Michigan and we are back to winter.  The snow was falling like mad yesterday.  Fortunately, it didn't stick on the ground.  We here are all ready for the cold weather to be over.

Bud and I reached a decision this past week about our diet.  It has taken longer than we thought to take off the weight that we had as a goal.  Bud has lost 25 pounds on this diet and he had lost about 10 pounds before he started it.  I have only lost 21 pounds but didn't have as much to lose.  We decided that it was time to 'give it a rest' and go on to the next phase.  This diet has 4 phases and we want to get to the maintenance phase before summer.  I also think it is a good idea to let this weight loss settle and try to maintain it for a while before going at it again.  It is a VERY expensive diet because you buy your protein shakes from the doctor's office.  Bud found a less expensive and comparable source so when we go back on the program we will use that source.  The next two phases involve putting regular food back into our diet so I will be putting carbohydrates back on my plate slowly for the next 4 weeks.  This is suppose to 'reset' your metabolism and keep you from adding fat to your body.  Time will tell but I am glad to have the weight off and to go on to the next phase.  We both look slimmer and that is important for now.

Speaking of for now, that is all for me for now.  I hope all mothers had a great Mother's Day.  

1 comment: