Friday, November 22, 2013

I'm having FUN

I am having LOTS of fun with my latest projects/activities.  

First of all I am working on a new quilt for our new living room.  We should be getting our new furniture in the next few weeks and so I am busy trying to make a new throw quilt for our use.  I am trying to convince Bud that this bright teal/turquoise color will look good with the gray sofa.  This is one of the blocks from the piece that I started this week.  I was slowed down by not having enough of the turquoise color.  I bought just one yard a few weeks ago when I was in a quilt store in Midland with Leo.  I didn't have a pattern yet so I restrained myself and just bought the one yard.  I then found this beautiful pattern and called the shop.  They are sending me the fabric I need but it is taking some time.  I had to send them a piece of my fabric so they could match it correctly.  I am hoping that the throw quilt will be so beautiful that Bud will be won over to having this color as an accent color in our new space.  (He wanted to use red instead of the turquoise.  I am not totally opposed to using red but I think the turquoise will look great too.)  I am only planning to put out a couple of pieces of the turquoise and am NOT planning to paint a wall turquoise.  (Some of you may remember that when we moved in to this house we immediately painted over one wall of the living room which was painted a southwest turquoise color.)

My second activity that is turning out to be so much fun is reading through the books that I bought for family members for Christmas.  I REALLY found some good reads.  I am on my 4th one and so far 2 of them are fantastic and the other two are really good.  I hope that family members don't mind that I am pre reading their gifts.  I hope they are just so thrilled with the quality of their 'reads' that they will forgive me.  I am doing my best to not spill anything on the gifts.

The final activity that has kept me busy is Leo's house.  I had hoped that it would be done by the first of December but that deadline seems to be slipping.  The company that sold us the home is kind of dragging their feet on the finishing touches even though I call or send them emails a couple of times a week and remind them that Leo would like to be in by the first of December.  That date is coming fast and they still have quite a bit of work to do.  He does have electricity in the house and the heat is on but he can't move in yet.  We are planning to take some furniture down to him a week from today.
I did find a nice cover for our 'mauve' love seat.  This will make the love seat look much nicer in Leo's home.  He is also getting our blue sofa which is a great sofa.  I am planning to make him a couple of pillows to go on the sofa but may take him to a store and have him pick out the fabric.  Right now he has been working to hook up the sump pump for his crawl space.  That was another disappointment, the excavator was suppose to  do that hookup but they left it up to Leo.  I think he has that project almost done.  I am going to call the company in a few minutes and see if I can 'light a fire' under them once again.  I am sure those guys are tired of hearing from me but I have a lot of trouble with people making promises and not following through.
Despite all the difficulties I have enjoyed doing this project and it is a great thing for Leo.

SO, there you have it. I am trying to keep busy in my retirement without cutting in to my afternoon nap time. I am off to light a fire and then on to school.  Every time I go there I am reminded why I am retired and just a volunteer.


No comments:

Post a Comment