Sunday, November 24, 2013

Let's do lunch next time

WOW, Yesterday was one of those N. Michigan days.  We get 'lake effect' snow here which really means that the cold air blowing across the big lake we have outside our door makes for its own weather phenomenon.  Yesterday was a perfect example of that weather pattern.   Bud was about 15 miles south of town earlier in the day and the sun was shining.  The closer he got to town the more snow came down.  
 Anyway, the reason I posted this picture other than showing you our latest weather,  was to show you the weather we had as we were driving out of our subdivision and  heading to a birthday dinner in Big Rapids which is about an hour and a half drive south of us.  Bud was sure that we would drive right out of the snow in about 10 minutes.  WELL, that thought didn't really work for us this time.  We kept driving and the conditions were getting even worse.  It was approaching or in blizzard conditions which means you couldn't see more than a couple car lengths ahead of you in the good times and near 'white out' conditions other times.  Being the optimists and  wanting to go to the birthday celebration that I had set up, we continued.  Bud is a tough N. Michigan driver and isn't discouraged from his intended plans very often either.
FINALLY,  about 50 miles in to our trip we drove out of the snowstorm and just faced regular Michigan winter weather.  We made it to our destination on time but of course we left the house 2 hours and 15 minutes earlier and drove what should have been an hour and a half trip.  Not too bad. We only saw a couple of accidents so it wasn't too bad.  (Now I say WE drove but Bud was doing the driving this time.  Not to say that I couldn't have driven this trip because part of the difficult driving was down to Cadillac which I have driven in all kinds of conditions myself.)
 It was worth the trip in difficult weather.  Eva and Jessica (the baby's mother) arrived first.  Doesn't Eva look great for someone that just turned 65? And of course the new mother to be looks fantastic too.  
 Leo arrived at the same time as us.  Both other groups had much easier weather conditions.  I am thankful for that.  Leo is getting his hair back and it is growing in VERY soft and curly.  Jessica and I both think that he looks especially cute and hope the curly hair stays with him.  He has gained about 30 pounds (I am going to have to let out some of his pants he said) He looks much more healthy.  This is the most he has EVER weighed but it is a good weight for him.  I am thankful that this year is almost over and he is on his way to a new home and a MUCH better year.  He has been working at his new home, putting in the sump pump. There was a bit of a problem with the contractors and they didn't put it in so he needed to get in that crawl space and get it taken care of.  It is done for now and he will have to do some more work in the spring to finish it off but at least it is ready for the winter.
We still don't know for sure when he will be able to move in.  I called all the contractors last Friday and 'encouraged' them to get this done before December 1st but I am not too hopeful.  We are still going to rent a trailer this coming Friday and take down the furniture that we are giving him and help him move some of the bigger stuff.  He is going to meet with the apartment manager this week and ask for a couple day extension on his place.  They are planning to renovate his whole apartment so he doesn't need to do a lot of clean up after he leaves.  Keep your fingers crossed that all the right things happen this week even though it is a short week.
 As usual, we had to recruit our waitress to take a picture of the Michigan Lewis family.  We look pretty good for all that age.  Leo was the one that said, "Maybe next time we need to do lunch instead of a dinner in Big Rapids."  That is a good idea.  However, the next birthday is Leo's so I think we should have it at his new house, maybe kind of an Open House/birthday/cancer free party.  DON'T say anything to him though.  He isn't ready for that step yet.  He is a little 'overwhelmed' (his words) right now with this house project.  I keep gently nudging him into his new home but I too will be very happy when he is settled.
 The 'birthday girl' had to get presents too.
 When she opened it and saw the blouse and skirt she was very surprised and loved it.  NOW, she was with me when I bought it, tried it on to see if it would fit and if she liked it.  So,  SURPRISED?????  We all had a great laugh.
We were trying the newest trend, taking a 'selfie'  Did you know that that word was the Oxford Dictionary's new word of the year?  I just recently found the button on my phone that allows me to take a 'selfie' and see what I look like that is how up on technology I am.   I'm not too good at it yet because my picture didn't turn out very well.  I had to count on Bud to take this one for you.  I think my arm wasn't long enough to get all of us in the picture.

SO, maybe next time we will do lunch or at least try to find better weather.  Our trip home was much easier.  It was worth the trip to see family.  

Happy Birthday to a wonderful sister.

1 comment:

  1. I just caught up on the last couple of weeks while waiting for Miss A in the car rider line. As usual I loved the pics and the dirt. As usual we southerners are terribly jealous of the snow. Love you.
    Diana

    ReplyDelete