Monday, February 17, 2014

I am back to my quilting

This past weekend I took another class at my favorite quilting store. This one was a little 'out there' with a title of 'Crazy Village'.  The point of the class was to unlock your creative side make a village with crazy houses and trees on a hill.  
 There were just 4 people in the class and it was scheduled to be a 4 hour class.  Our instructor was a very nice man,  YES, I did say man.  He is a former elementary teacher from the area and he has branched out in his retirement to teaching quilting classes.  You can see that the creations were especially crazy.  I like the one above because she had a white background for he village and a unusual print for her hill.
 Here you can see a couple more pieces that were in progress that day.
 Our instructor worked on a piece of his own while teaching the class.
 This is his piece and was still a work in progress.
 I'm not too sure about my work but it was a fun class.
 I left after about 3 hours because I was kind of at a point that I needed to step back and look at my piece.  I now know I probably made a couple of mistakes and if I were to do it over I would have used a different background and maybe made my houses shorter.  I am not done yet, I will continue to add details and then do the quilting but I needed to 'give it a rest' before returning to fill in places where I think something is needed.

I decided to update this page and show the quilt in its final form.  I added some flowers and the blue border around the piece.  It is ready to give away.

However, I am still more comfortable with traditional landscape quilts.  I made one very similar to this one earlier and put it in the quilt show a couple of weeks ago.  It sold to a friend to put in her granddaughters nursery.  My Occupational Therapist that I am seeing for my had told me that she liked it a lot and had considered buying it too.  I thought that would give me an opportunity to make another one since I like making them.  The last one had a swing hanging from one of the branches but this time I decided that a nice bench would look great.  I am going to call this one 'Sky Blue Pink Sunrise'.  The phrase 'sky blue pink' comes from my Dad. When we would ask him a question, especially a question that involved a color such as "what color the new baby kittens were this year", he would frequently respond with 'sky blue pink' which was his way of telling you to wait and see.  I do like this one as much as the one with the swing.  However, looking at the picture, I do notice that the tree may be " a little off " with the main part being too fat but I an amateur so it is a 'trial and error' type of process.  I do really like the bench though.  

On another note, we have been catching up on our movies lately and went to see The Monuments Men on Saturday.  It was a good movie and I would recommend it.  

I am running out of thought and will resist going to my weather report.  Remember that summer will be coming soon and the worm weather will feel wonderful.  However, I can't resist the information that was in the TIME magazine this week,  78.7% of the Great Lakes are frozen, the largest portion since 1996.  For the last 40 years the lakes have averaged just 51% covered so it has been cold here.  (I guess I didn't avoid the weather report after all.)

No comments:

Post a Comment