Sunday, February 23, 2014

Just an ordinary week

It has been a pretty quiet week here.  Yes, of course, we have had snow and Friday was a 'no school' day but that IS ordinary here this time of year.  
 I have been back working on a new quilt for our living room.  This is my latest creation.  It is not all together yet but I had to lay it out on the floor to arrange the pieces.  This one is a little tricky because I have to put it together on the diagonal. I love the colors.  Bud didn't think that he would like turquoise as an accent color in our gray living room but I think maybe I convinced him that it would look great.  He really liked this quilt and how it really 'pops'.  I am excited to see it finished.


I am also looking at making another quilt pretty soon.  I have chosen this pattern for that quilt.  I am making a twin size for the granddaughter of a friend and a queen size for a wedding this summer.  As you can see, the projects are starting to stack up so I need to get busy.  I will abandon the quilt for me if I don't get it done before selecting the other fabric for the other two quilts.   
 This past week Bud went in to a pain clinic to receive a nerve block shot for his shingles.  They are getting better, in fact the spots are almost totally gone, but he still has some nerve pain and would like to get off the medication for the pain.  This nerve block shot has worked quite well so he is on the way to a quicker recovery and relief of the pain.  He is just taking an afternoon nap here.  The late afternoon 'need to rest his eyes' moment took over.

While I was recovering and not able to sew, I was blessed with a wonderful selection of books that I read.  I thought I would share my latest list and some recommendations.

The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer,  It truly was an interesting book, kind of hard to summarize but it was a book I heard about on NPR and just had to try it out.  There are a group of young people that meet at a summer camp and the book is about their growing up.  I liked it quite a bit.

Broken for You by Stephanie Kallos, This book was a gift from the Tenn. Claradys.  I LOVED this book.  Very inspirational, funny, sad, wise, moving and engaging story.  (enough adjectives???) Thank You Claradys.  I strongly recommend this book to anyone.

The Orchardist by Amanda Coplin,  Sara let me borrow this book that her friend Emily gave her.  I LOVED this on too but it was more sad and yet beautiful and haunting.  I loved the story, most of the characters and the way the author wrote.  Thank you Sara for sharing.

Once Upon a River by Bonnie Jo Campbell, I bought this one myself.  It was a good story that took place in Michigan.  It was a bit too sad or maybe I just thought the characters made too many mistakes in their lives. Sometimes I just wanted to slap the main character but she was a VERY young girl trying to survive on her own.  I'm not sure I would recommend this one but it was interesting to read.

Astrid and Veronica, I don't know the author's name since this book was lent to me by my hand therapist. She watched me bring in books every week while they did my heat treatments and shared this WONDERFUL book with me.  It is a very touching story by a Swedish author about 2 women becoming friends and their relationship.  I strongly recommend this book too.  I am thankful that she shared this book with me.

The House at the End of Hope Street by Menna van Praag is my newest book. I just started it this last week and since I have been able to do some sewing, I am not getting through it as fast but so far it is quite good.

So there you have it, my book recommendations from the last few months. Maybe you will be inspired to share some of your favorite books with me.  I love finding new authors.

No comments:

Post a Comment