Monday, September 1, 2014

A quiet Labor Day Weekend

We didn't do much this weekend.  For me, a weekend is just like any other day but that is what retirement life is all about.  
 Bud continued to work on painting the trim on the house.  We did have some rainy weather but he has managed to find some time to paint.  It is quite a big project.  Bill wasn't available to help paint this weekend and I am a very messy painter so it isn't a good job for me.
 I have been working on a quilt for Sara and Leo.  She picked out the pattern when I was out visiting this past spring.  It is a very colorful quilt.  I LOVE it a lot.  I love how it turned out.  I used all batik fabric to make this quilt.  I love batik fabrics so I used this as an opportunity to indulge myself and buy some more colors.

This pattern was a little different from anything I have made before.  This pattern requires two rectangles of a similar color in the middle and then the outer rectangles must 'blend' around the center.  Each block is just a 6" square so it did require having a lot of different fabrics.  I haven't ever done this 'blending' thing and it was a bit of a challenge at the beginning. If any two blocks are alike, it is just by chance not design. I think it required about 240 blocks to make this quilt.  I had a lot of fun making it and became much more relaxed about the blending process as I worked.
When I finished I had quite a few rectangles left over so I decided to make this back.  I just stacked the rectangles totally at random, so different from the front.  I decided to put a nice gray between the stripes.  I like how it turned out too.  In fact, I'm not sure which side I like best. It will be interesting to see what my quilter does with the quilting.  The pattern is so colorful that I don't think the quilting will hardly show up.

SO, that is what we are doing here in the Northland.  Maybe your week and weekend were more exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment