Sunday, June 10, 2012

Scouting out the terrain

Next weekend Glen and Penny are driving in from N. Dakota and stopping here on their way through.  They are bringing their motorcycles (towing them not driving them) so I am going to host all the Ken and Verdella Lewis kids here at our house.  The motorcycle fans are going for a ride through the Sleeping Bear Sand Dunes are which is north and west of here on the Leelenau Peninsula.  That area is very pretty and a good place for a motorcycle ride.  I am planning to drive the sports car and take Eva with me although we are leaving it open for Eva to decide if she wants to ride along on the back of someone's motorcycle.  I do plan to take a picnic lunch so the car might be the place for the two of us.  
There is one area that is called the Pierce Stocking Scenic Drive.  Bud wanted to check it out so today we were on the road by about 9:00 so that he could be back to do other chores today.  It is a beautiful drive and a great area.  We took the sports car and had a good time.  I drove the sports car back home.  That is the first time I have driven his car.  I have been reluctant to drive it because I really wouldn't want to hurt it but I thought I should practice before next weekend.  I still know how to drive a stick shift and it was a fun drive.  
 This is the first overlook and you are looking out over Lake Michigan.  It is hard to see much because it is a little hazy today.  I am thinking that even if Eva and I go in the sports car, we could ride a motorcycle through this park.  It is only 9 miles long and the speed limit is 20 mph.  That part would be fun to experience on a motorcycle at a slow speed.
 Just another view over one of the inland lakes.  I think it is Glen Lake in the middle with Lake Michigan in the background.
 This is a different overlook in the scenic drive.  Again, you are looking out over L. Michigan.
 It was quite windy so Bud had to turn his hat around.  This spot is quite steep down to the lake.  Some 'crazy' tourist decide to walk down to the lake.  It is about 420 feet down to the lake.  Only the real crazy people do this walk.
 I thought that this was a great view down the dune.  There ARE people trying to climb up this dune but you really can't see them in this picture.  They are too small to see.  We also saw people walking the beach but I am assuming they came from somewhere else.  We won't be attempting this hill when we visit next weekend.
 Of course, there is a warning for those 'crazy' people but some people don't know that they should obey signs.
After we left the scenic drive we did go over to the safe area for dune climbing.  This are is actually called Dune Climb but again it is only for children or very fit adults.  Occasionally people climb this hill and then take off on a couple mile walk to L. Michigan.  Again, there is a warming sign at the top of this hill reminding people that it is a LONG way to the lake.  This dune is a favorite of young children, they run up and roll down.  I remember stopping here one summer when we explored Michigan with Mom and Dad.  I also have been here with my students.  It is a favorite end of the year fun trip for many schools in the area.  I haven't climbed this dune in a long time either and am not planning to do it next weekend.

SO, here I am.  It is just 2:00 and already I have done my ONE thing for the day.  (Leo says that most people only really do one thing a day and that is what they talk about the next day.  I am retired so I do have to 'pace myself' and truly only do one thing a day or I will use up all my 'things' in one day and be left with nothing to do the rest of the week.)  Since Bud is not retired, he is out working on staining the decking around the house.  Leo told me earlier that I should go out and help him but he usually doesn't want to let me have a paintbrush.  I am a messy painter or at least that is what he sees and it does get me out of painting.

Diana, I included these great 'dune' pictures because I remember you talking about the dunes of S. Carolina.  I have seen the 'dunes' along the ocean and in Michigan, we just grow taller and better dunes.

Everyone, this is an OPEN INVITATION to come and visit (well, family and friends anyway, not just anyone out there in blogisphere)  We would be a great place for those TN or TX family members to come and visit.  Free room and board, great local sites, fun on the water and great company.  Come and spend a week with us.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I've been challenged! My beloved coast has been poked at, and I've been goaded into a verbal battle of comparisons. I think I'll just have to declare myself a pacifist and smile peacefully. (I mean it really just sounds like a bad case of ocean-envy to me. Don't you think.; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drive the sports car more! Heck it could be your Harley.
    Great Pics too.
    Matt

    ReplyDelete