Thursday, July 5, 2012

It's all relative

Our July 4th holiday was a nice mid-week break from routine.  It was pretty hot and there was very little wind at the middle of the day so we decided to take in a movie.  We went to our favorite 'indy' movie theater in downtown Traverse City and watched 'Safety Not Guaranteed'.  It was  a fun movie to watch. We both enjoyed the plot.  
However, the 'relative' theme of this blog came in the conversation we had while walking down the street to the movie theater.  You know that I am past the age of 60 and as a official Baby Boomer, I struggle with what I would like to think of my body and my age AND reality.  I would like to think that I am still 45 with that nice young body that I had then.  It was thinner, without the little 'paunch' of a stomach and thinner thighs.  WELL, that body isn't the one that I seem to be stuck with in my post menopausal age.  I have been very critical of this body lately and seem to be having difficulty getting out of that rut.  The conversation that Bud and I had (totally initiated by me) was around my rationalizing about how I DO look pretty good for my age.  I pointed out some women on the other side of the street that kind of looked my age, they had that 'round' hairstyle like my mother wore, some capri jeans with elastic waist and blue checkered trim around the bottom and a white t-shirt with a similar trim and flowers to match the trim.  (NO, I really couldn't see all this detail from across the street so I just added some of the details that I am guessing would be included in their look)  So my snide comment to Bud was that I look better than those women but then coming along the street toward us were 3 lovely teenage girls in their short shorts and little crop tops, thin, trim, and lovely young girls.  
OF COURSE, IT IS ALL RELATIVE!!!
 Our evening was rescued by family.  We went over to the cottage and had dinner with the Noble family minus Brittany who is in medical school this summer.  This picture of David only really shows what a great view they have.
 The food was great too and Jack looks better with a bit less light in the background.
 I tried for another shot of David but he refused to cooperate.
So I caught him later, probably sending a text to his girlfriend.  Charlotte was there for dinner too but left early to meet her friends downtown to watch the fireworks.  We came home before the fireworks and were in bed before they started.  They did echo across the bay though so we felt included.

SO, which relative???   I prefer the latter of the two.  They are much more entertaining.

1 comment:

  1. You know what I say: if the clothes reject your body, reject them back! The other "relatives" are not near as easy to deal with, but I agree much more fun: )

    ReplyDelete