Friday, August 16, 2013

Recovery and the nurse's project

WELL, Bud is feeling better today.  Yesterday was a real rough day for him.  The surgery went very well, they found a small hernia developing on the left side too so they fixed both sides.  It was a minimally invasive surgery done through three very small incisions so it was an out patient surgery.  We were home by about 10:30 but we had to be there at the surgery center by 6:15 so already it had been a long day.  I encouraged Bud to take a cab to the center but he insisted I get up early too and accompany him.  (Just kidding)  
However, the pain medication was not kind to him.  He has a very sensitive stomach and it caused nausea right away.  He didn't keep anything down yesterday even though he called the doctor in the early evening and was prescribed something to help.  Finally he just decided to go to bed and see what the morning would bring.  
Today he is feeling MUCH better and here is a picture of him having a sandwich for lunch.  He is still very sore but not taking any medications.  He will rest through the weekend and is hoping to go back to work on Monday but I am encouraging him to take it easy next week too.  We will see.  I have been staying pretty close by him, nursing him and doing what I can to help. 

I have been working on a little project though.  I wish I had thought to take this picture the other way but after I had it loaded on the blog, I don't know how to rotate it so you will just need to turn you head sideways.
As a little introduction to this project, I am the new leader of our small quilt group here in Traverse City. One of the topics that has been of interest to me is Art Quilts.  For me that means creating a quilt without a pattern.  There are many books out with different types of Art Quilts but I thought I would start simple and then maybe do some more complicated project after I have managed to 'get my feet wet'.  I went to a show earlier this summer and they had some of these strip quilts.  I thought I would use that concept for my background and then add some dimension to the quilt.  I chose the black and white but then it got a little boring part way through so I added the yellow and red to indicate a sunset.  Finally I put the flowers on top and made them 3D so that they stick out from the background.  I could add some beads and such if I desired and maybe do some thread work on the stems and flowers.  OR, I could just leave this alone and start anther on to work on.
I am planning to teach this concept to the group in the spring so I would like some different projects to show.  It isn't very large, only about 8"x18" but it is a start.  A small wall hanging is a good way to start.  I like the black and white background but I think I could use different colors too.  I will keep you posted. It is a new and different way to express my creativity without actually following a pattern.

I have named this creation:  Sunset Over the Garden.  What do you think???

So, the patient and nurse are doing well here.  Keeping busy and resting, maybe that is what this time in our lives is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment