Wednesday, August 28, 2013

New projects and new directions

Summer is winding down here in N. Michigan although we have been having pretty warm and humid temperatures lately.  Yesterday we had a day of warm weather thunderstorms.  It reminded me of my childhood days where it was hot and then we would have a big thunderstorm.  I remember waiting on the front porch of the farm, hoping the rain would be over soon so we could go out and play in the puddles.  There was always a great puddle on the other side of the driveway and we would go out and splash around until it disappeared.  The carefree days of youth but a great memory.  

 I am the leader of our local quilt group this year so I have been trying to come up with projects for our programs.  This is a simple Christmas tree skirt that we will make in the month of October.  I found the pattern online and made it up to make sure the directions were correct.  It was a good thing that I tried it out because the directions were wrong and I was able to correct them.  I like the color combination and the size.  It is 60 in diameter which is pretty big for a tree skirt.  Many of the patterns are for something much smaller and they look strange under a big tree.  I don't have this quite finished yet, I have to do the hole in the middle and the slit to get it under the tree but I wanted to show the group while it was all together.  Some people will want to do it as a table topper instead of a tree skirt.  It was well received at the group so I think it will be a successful program.
I don't have any plans for this project after the program.  We keep our tree outside so don't need a tree skirt.  I am offering it to any family member that would like a new tree skirt.  SO, let me know if you want this lovely project for your home.
I have also been experimenting with landscape quilting.  This is my newest project.  I started with strips in the background that are sewn to a backing.  Then I added the tree and a swing for a little 'touch'.  I was going for a 'sunset/sunrise' setting and just kind of added the swing for a little extra color.  I am going to teach the group this process in the spring so I am planning to do a few more 'free style' projects like this on and off through the winter.  I am interested in exploring smaller pieces and more original pieces of my own design. I am having fun with this technique.

We will be leaving on vacation in a couple of days.  We are planning to go out west and visit Glacier National Park and Yellowstone National Park.  Neither of us have ever been to these wonderful parks so we are looking forward to seeing 2 national parks.  We will be stopping to see Glen and Penny on our way through and also Uncle Eldon in Iowa.  I will keep you posted on our travels.

Projects and new directions going different ways and exploring new territories.  The freedom of the open road calls to us and the freedom of the open mind is calling me through my quilting.  

1 comment: