Friday, September 10, 2010

Dry spell

I have hit a dry spell on blogging. Maybe it is the nature of the time of year or maybe it is the strangeness of the world around us lately but I just don't have too many words to say.

Time of year:
School started and fall is upon us. I am SO glad that I am not going back to school but it was such a huge part of my life for 35 years. It causes me to reflect. Children enter the classroom with new clothes that are really too warm for the outside temperatures but they want to wear their new outfits the first day anyway. Bright shining faces, full of energy, greeting the new school year.

Fall weather has descended upon Michigan. The temps are in the high 50's at night and into the low 70's in the daytime. We have beautiful sunshine, followed by a brief rainstorm and then blue skies all in a 10 minute time span. I have already noticed a few trees just starting to turn. It is a beautiful time of year but time to put away the sandals and tank tops. The long sleeved shirts come out of the drawer and we find our long jeans again. Those shorts go in the laundry and get ready to be packed away.

Fall vegetables are in abundance. I am savoring those ripe red tomatoes that taste so delicious this time of year. I could eat sliced tomatoes every day for every meal except breakfast and you know what?? I have been doing just that. We had corn on the cob twice this week too. Fall harvest time is a wonderful treat for the eyes and stomach.


Strangeness of the world:
The 24 hour news cycle is wearing me out. I sometimes think I need to turn off the news for a while. I listen to NPR most of the time but even that news outlet is spending too much time and giving too much attention to people that really don't have anything to say. For a country founded on religious freedoms, we seem to fall short far too often.

Everyone seems to want their 15 minutes of fame. I think that the inflammatory statements of many people, from all sides of the political debate, make so many people look like fools. When individuals assume that they can speak for all Americans they make an ASS out of themselves but also try to paint their view as the view of all Americans. I do not hold their views as mine and wish they would keep quiet for a while.

Sara did a much better job of expressing herself on the topic of our strange world. Please follow the link to her blog and read it.


WELL, that is it for today. I hope that some beauty shines in your life today and through this weekend. September is a wondrous month, full of beauty, crisp nights, falling leaves, ripe red tomatoes and the bounty of the harvest. Enjoy the beauty of the earth. Enjoy the beauty of your friends and family. Bask in the glory of those who inspire young students every year and wish them a wondrous new school year, both those excited little faces and the teachers that inspire learning every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment