Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Humbled

This past weekend I was in Grand Rapids with family. We were enjoying a wonderful dinner together after spending the day taking in the art downtown. Eva received a call from Nay Nay, the young Burmese refugee that she mentors and guides through this new world here in our country. Nay Nay was just finishing her shift as a housekeeper in one of the downtown hotels. She was waiting for the bus that was suppose to arrive a little after 7:00 to take her home to her daughter and her apartment. The bus hadn't come and she was worried. We finished our dinner and kept in contact with her via cell phone. About 8:00 the bus still hadn't arrived so Eva and I went down and picked her up to take her home. Some of you have met this young girl and know her story. I was touched by her new path in the work world and how challenging her daily life can be. I would like to share a bit of it with you today, just my little reminder of how my LITTLE struggles with life are really tiny.



She wakes up early enough to get her daughter off to daycare by 7:00. She doesn't drive so the provider picks up Dorthy. Then she leaves for work via the local bus. It takes her about an hour to arrive at work. She works all day, cleaning rooms. She cleaned 19 rooms last Friday. Then she gets on the bus, usually about 7 or so at night for the hour long ride home and goes home to her daughter and fixes dinner. The next day she gets up and does this all over again. All this she does for $7.50/hour.



I am truly humbled by this little soul that is finding her way in this world with her daughter. I am impressed with Eva's commitment to this young ladies life. Eva's work with the refugees in the Grand Rapids area is humbling too. She has touched the lives of so many people. I have taken a year of my retirement to learn a new way for me. I think it is time for me to find a new way to reach out to others. I will keep you posted. I hope that maybe this posting has inspired someone else to reach out. Eva reminded me that there are people all around us in our lives that we could help if we opened ourselves up to them.

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm-hmm! I truly believe that the fertile layer of life is the genuine relationships between people. Being truly present to each other happens in so many different ways. Looks different depending on who is involved. What remains constant is, the blessings flow both ways, no matter who is helping who, which itself is a humbling wonderful thing to realize.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She was hit by a car on Wednesday night while riding her bike. No broken bones..very shook up and should be out of the hospital today.
    I told her she lives a very exciting life and she should write a book.
    So thankful she is ok.

    ReplyDelete