Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Experimenting with recipes

I am not usually a cook that experiments with recipes that you find in magazines or the newspaper.  Eva is good at doing that, she will find a recipe in a magazine and try it.  I get my best recipes from her because she tests them for me.  WELL, in the interest of expanding my cooking skills, I am looking to find new things to cook.  This past week I found a recipe in Better Homes and Garden (in my retirement I am experimenting with magazine subscriptions too)  It sounded good and simple.  It was all that.  I thought I would share it with you. 

Feta-Stuffed Chicken Breasts
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1tsp. finely shredded lemon peel
1 Tbsp. olive oil

1. Using a sharp knife, cut a pocket in each chicken breast by cutting horizontally through the thickest portion to, but not through, the opposite side.  In a small bowl combine 1/4 cup feta cheese and the lemon peel.  Spoon cheese mixture into each pocket.  Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
2. In a large skillet heat oil over medium heat.  Add chicken.  Cook for 20-30 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink (170 degrees), turning once.  Sprinkle with remaining feta cheese.  Makes 4 servings. 

OF COURSE, unlike Eva, I didn't do the recipe just as it came in the magazine.  I decided that it would be good with some slices of black olives in the cheese mixture.  I liked that addition but I am sure that it would taste good without the olives if you don't like them.  I also didn't read the direction all the way through before I started cooking so I stuffed ALL the feta cheese mixture in the chicken breasts before I realized I was suppose to save some of it for the top.  I decided not to use those frozen skinless chicken breast that you get from Gordon's Food Service because I though they would be difficult to slice into.  They are often kind of thin.  I went out and bought some boneless, skinless chicken breasts from the grocery store since they are often thicker.  I only had 3 of them so I just stuffed the 3.  It was a good meal and definitely a 'keeper' for us.  I liked the lemon flavor and the fact there there weren't a lot of ingredients.  It was really quite easy and quick. I did have to cook the breasts a little longer but I have a meat thermometer and had to wait until the interior of the chicken breast was the correct temperature.

Give it a try.  It was good, fast and easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment