Thursday, March 3, 2011

Invisible????

The age old question:  Would you rather have the power of invisibility or be able to fly?

While driving to Chicago, Sue and I began discussing how after women reach a certain age, they become invisible.  That means that they don't 'turn heads' when they walk into a room, they are a wife, mother, grandmother, aunt but not HOT.  What age does that occur for a women?  I am sure that some women are able to 'turn heads' longer then others.  But, I do think it happens.  It isn't my goal to always 'turn heads' but that was a nice feeling at one time.

As I worked on this post I began to think more and more about how superficial beauty gives away to wisdom.  While you may not attract the looks of young men/women any more, you have traded that for the wisdom of age.  I was driving to visit a friend and NPR was playing a segment titled "Aging and Dying Young As Late As Possible".  It was such an interesting segment that I came home and listened to it again.  They were interviewing a man that wrote a book after interviewing many older people.  His book was called "How to Live: A search for Wisdom from Old People While They Are Still on This Earth".  It reminded me that while 'youth may be wasted on the young', 'wisdom is a gift of the aged'. 

I have already spent a lot of time thinking of this blog post and may not be doing a great job of getting my message across.  I would recommend that you explore this topic by going to the interview that I heard.  You may go to http://www.ttbook.org/ and listen to the segment.  The last segment of the hour long show was about grief and death.  I found that segment very interesting too.  If you have experienced some recent grief or if you wish to know more about grieving, listen to that segment too.  It was very insightful for me.

1 comment:

  1. Right along the lines of my research topic, "Which factors contribute to resiliency and happiness in later life?" Sounds like an interesting segment.

    ReplyDelete