Monday, December 19, 2011

Fruitcake anyone????

It is a little late in the season but I decided that I would make a fruitcake yesterday.  Making fruitcake was one of the things I used to do with Mom every fall for the last few years she was around.  I would go down to see her and collect all the ingredients.  She would get out her high school Home Economics textbook/cookbook and supervise my baking.  She would usually try to make several months before Christmas because it was suppose to 'age' and she didn't mean that you poured rum over it and let it soak up the taste.  SO, yesterday the desire to make fruitcake hit me.  I even used the OLD bowl from the farm to make the fruitcake.  I didn't use her recipe though.  I always thought it was too dry without the rum.  I have my own recipe. 

 I was also in the mood for split pea soup.  I like it a lot but Bud won't eat it. Fortunately it freezes well so I had split pea soup for dinner and he went to a charity event to snack on hordivories (I never can spell that word and can't think of  a substitute.  The spell check doesn't or won't help me).  I think I got the better deal. 
My fruitcake turned out pretty nice.  I will sprinkle a little rum in it and put it away to 'age' a few days.  I might take a little down to Grand Rapids for Christmas and share with Eva and Leo.  I think Eva likes it a little or at least she is to kind to tell me not to bring it.  I can't remember about Leo but I know he won't be too kind to tell me that he doesn't want any. 
I sent a message to some friends in Kingsley, offering to stop by and chat and drop off some fruitcake. They declined the fruitcake but accepted the visit.  True friends are honest an let you know that you don't need to waste your good fruitcake on them.
Here's to friends!!!!  Bless a few of your friends with either a visit or maybe a fruitcake this holiday season.

1 comment:

  1. I am the only person in my family who likes fruitcake..I have never made it but usually buy one for the season and try and tempt others. kathy

    ReplyDelete