Sunday, December 11, 2011

It's the weekend

It has been a mixed weekend.  Friday night we had 2 parties to attend.  We managed to spend a small amount of time at a party where Bud is a member of a local club.  We left before dinner and headed to the Kingsley Elementary school party.  YES, I still attend the Christmas party.  Since i am a regular feature at the school, volunteering twice a week, I feel free to attend the parties. There have been a lot of changes on staff the last couple of years as they have downsized and teachers have moved from the middle school.  There were several people/couples that I don't know very well but I still enjoyed the evening.  Me, a lot, Bud not as much but he manages to catch up with a few of the other spouses and find a way to entertain himself as he is my designated driver for the evening.  I don't 'over indulge' much any more but it doesn't take much to put you over the limit in Michigan.  

On our way home we decided that the past week had been quite busy with many evening commitments and we would spend the remainder of the weekend relaxing and getting chores done around the house.  I finished my Christmas decorations today.  Yesterday I did some grocery shopping and then made vegetable soup.  We rented a movie for the evening last night and today I put a fire in the fireplace and didn't go out except for my walk earlier.  I had a GREAT book to finish and some little chores around the house so I was VERY content to stay home.  When I talked to Eva earlier I told her that I had a great day, not even going out and she seemed question my idea of a great day.  She does like to keep more busy than me, but that is what makes the world interesting.  Each person 'recharges' in a different way.  Mine is by sitting by the fire with a great book. 

Now I know that some of you are wondering about the name of the book so I won't keep it a secret.  I just finished 'The Language of Flowers'.  I heard about it on NPR, my best source for good books.  I found it on sale even though it is hardcover, and it didn't disappoint me.  It is a short book but very full of 'story'.  It is the story of a young girl and her life as she 'ages out' of foster care with flashbacks to a failed adoption when she was about ten.  I would strongly recommend it to anyone.  Check it out of your local library and enjoy the ride.  


What is a posting without a picture so here is one of the front of our garage and the bay beyond.  Bud received this flag from Matt, Diana and the girls for Christmas.  Last weekend he put the holder up on the garage.  He faithfully puts it out every morning and takes it in at night.  According to him, a flag isn't suppose to fly at night without a light on it.  I think his dad taught him that rule of flag etiquette. He learned well.

I hope you had a good weekend, whether you stayed home and enjoyed a great book and chores or ventured into the wide, wide world and were more social than me.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the book tip...I agree that a stay at home day is great...very full filling..I hope that I can have that today!! Kathy

    ReplyDelete