Sunday, September 16, 2012

balancing work and play

AH, the weekend.  For those of you that are not retired it is a time to do chores at home and try to squeeze in some fun.  
 This weekend Bud rented a wood splitter.  He spent most of yesterday afternoon outside splitting wood for the winter.  We had some wood from previous downed trees, the trees that he and Leo cut down a few weeks ago and the wood from the diseased trees in the yard that needed to be split for future fires in our fireplace.  It is a hard job, splitting that wood even though he has this gasoline powered splitter.  He was quite tired and a little sore last evening.
 Fortunately a friend called last evening and invited him to go on a motorcycle ride this morning and get brunch somewhere along the way.  He was up bright and early (too early for me) and out the door to have fun with his friend.  I did manage to get up and have the paper read before he arrived back home.
Now he is aback to the woodpile.  Our neighbor, Tom has joined him.  The diseased trees that are between our house and Tom's need to be split and he is using this weekend as an opportunity to use the splitter too.  I don't know how long they will work but they have a lot of wood to split.  I am glad that I wasn't recruited to help haul the wood.

I have been working inside on my own secret projects.  I am making good progress.  However, yesterday I spent about 3 hours on one project that was titled as only a ONE hour project.  I had a little difficulty following the directions but after making a couple of samples I managed to figure it out.  These secret projects are going to be terrific for two little babies that are now with their mother in Cape Cod.  

SO, weekends are for fun and work.  I am glad that every day is my day to have fun and leave the work for another day.  However, I still have the 'teacher touch'.  I did manage to teach math in Molly's class both Tuesday and Thursday of this past week.  It just isn't the same kind of work. I get to have all the fun and not worry about the 'work' part of teaching.

1 comment:

  1. Wood splitting and motorcycle riding, now that sounds like a fantastic way to spend a weekend.

    Matt

    ReplyDelete