Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Toys, Toys, Toys

Bud told me that his goal this past holiday weekend was to use ALL his toys.  He was successful (well he didn't use his ice boat but wrong season.)

 Saturday afternoon, after finishing our 'chores', I went for a ride with him on the motorcycle.  YES, you read it correctly, I went with him.  He announced that he was going to go out the peninsula for a ride and I decided to join him.  The peninsula ride is pretty quiet with a lot of back roads and it was a fairly slow ride.  It was also a pretty ride but he didn't stop so I didn't take any pictures.  I just do my best to hang on while riding.  Those curves make me a bit nervous but I trust his driving.
 Saturday evening we went over to the Nobles' cottage to watch Michigan lose to Arkansas.  It was a sad game for all the Michigan fans and the Nobles.  The boys were already down at college but Brittany and John were up for the weekend.
 NO, the picture isn't upside down.  I took it while they were lying on the floor.  Pretty women.
 Sunday, on to the next toy.  We went sailing with our friends Bill and Joan.  Bill was my neighbor when I lived out by Spider Lake and we have remained friends.  It was a 'picture perfect' day on the bay.  There was a nice wind but not too much.  The sun was shining but the breeze kept us cool.  We had terrific sandwiches and a relaxing afternoon.  The wind was just perfect for us to sail up almost to the island without tacking and then turn around and sail back.  It was a wonderful way to spend the last 'summer weekend'.
 Captain Bud is right hat home on the water.  It is nice to have this boat.
Leo came up on Sunday afternoon. He had a 4 day weekend and spent part of Saturday trying to clean up some things at his 10 acres.   It was a bit frustrating trying to get some of his equipment running.  I had called him earlier in the week and invited him up.  He had declined but then changed his mind when the weekend kind of stretched out before him. We were glad that he came up.  We always enjoy a visit from him.  
I fixed flank steak and deviled eggs for dinner.  He is an easy person to feed since he is such a light eater. Then we went to the movies.  That is kind of a tradition when he comes up.  It is Bud's chance to see and 'action' movie.  We went to see the newest Bourne movie. It was full of action but it held our attention. Bud and I have seen the previous 3 movies in that series.  They are good action movies.    

Monday morning Bud used the opportunity of having help to get some dead trees taken down.  Leo pulled the line and Bud ran the chain saw.  These trees were right beside the driveway.  We thought that they would survive after taking down some others around them but one was totally dead and the other one was on its way out.  I was glad that I didn't have to help by being on the other end of the line pulling.  Boy, there's nothing like a chain saw to bring out the neighbors.
The two trees were fairly small or Bud wouldn't have tried to take them down.
They cut the trees up and now we have some MORE firewood.  Bud needs to rent a wood splitter some time this fall and get all the wood we have split up for winter.

Well, that was all of the excitement we had here. OH, one more toy, I almost forgot.  Bud did take out his little boat Monday afternoon.  The wind was light on East Bay but he did manage to sail around.  I didn't go along or take pictures.  I stayed home and did some sewing on my 'mystery' projects.  I made a lot of progress this past weekend.
NOW for other family members.  Jessica and  Doug went out to the Cape to visit Sara and Leo.  She sent me this picture one evening.  I smiled and sent back a reply but I didn't look closely at the picture to realize that ERIK was in the picture.  I don't know the story behind that other than it was a surprise for Jessica and Doug. I'm sure that they all had a wonderful weekend together.  I am SO happy that they had the time together.  It makes me feel good to see these families spending time together.
Eva went to Tennessee.  I had called her on Friday to invite her up to spend some time here.  She too had decided that she was going to do some chores around the house but then the invitation to TN came.  I guess the attraction of grandchildren is better than spending time with her sister. I had even offered to spend some time going through the 2 big boxes of personal things I have from the farm, hoping that would get her up to visit but that wasn't much of an enticement.  Grandchildren trump almost everything.  It looks like they are having a good time. She called on her way home and said it was a wonderful weekend with everyone.

SO, there you have it, the family travels and activities.  It is a long entry but sometimes that is just how it is. One more summer has past.  Our trees are already starting to turn.  On to the next season.   Love to all.

1 comment:

  1. SUPER impressed with your motorcycle ride. You're becoming quite the thrill seeker in retirement: ) Thanks for the pictures. It's nice to see pictures of everyone.

    ReplyDelete