Sunday, October 27, 2013

Building and Birthdays

Friday was an exciting day for me.  I left school early (I volunteer on Fridays) and drove down to Clare to pick up Leo and go to the 10 acres to see how the house foundation was going.  It was a cold and windy day but I was thrilled to see the progress.  
 I am not good with direction but this is the south east corner of the house foundation.  They have the blocks all up and they poured the cement floor for his crawl space on Friday.  The contractor for the house tried to tell Leo that he could save some money by just putting in a vapor barrier and gravel for the crawl space but Leo wanted cement.  I think that it will be well worth the money to have it be a dry space for storage and anything else.  The foundation is 5 blocks high with about 2 blocks to be above ground.  They did put a drainage pipe under the cement and a sump pump to keep it dry so it should be a good space.
 In this picture I am standing in the south east corner looking north west toward the drive where you come in.
 This is the view from the front of the house going south.  The entrance will be about in the middle between the first two sets of blocks from the right.  That will be the front door.  The back door will be almost across from it and there will be a side door facing the driveway too.  That side door will allow for a possible garage entrance when or if he builds one there.
 Leo is standing in the north west corner and the picture is taken toward the back of the lot.  Nice view of the woods.
 The cement floor looks great.  The pipe coming out of the middle right side is the water coming in and you can see the hole for the sump pump on the left side.  The front door will be a little to the left of this pile of blocks I think.  The house is 26x42 feet so it is a good size.  It is bigger than my first house up here.
 Once again a view looking to the south east.  This corner will be the master bedroom corner.
 One more view from where I had my car parked.  I think I did my best at showing all the angles.
Leo took me out to dinner that evening and I came back home.  I was very glad to see the progress they made this past week.  I will call this coming week and find out when they will deliver the house.  My goal is to have him in the house by the first of December.  I think that is very likely.  I will continue to go and check up on things and keep everyone posted.   It is exciting.
 Saturday was birthday day.   Molly (I help out in her classroom) was giving a birthday party for her daughter Cora.  I was invited so I drove down there for a while.  It was a Princess Ball theme but I didn't dress up.  I made Cora this little cape.  It was very easy to make, just some lacy material that had some glitter on it and some elastic for the tip covered with ribbon.  It was a hit.
 Of course, what would a birthday be without some books so I gave her some American Girl books since she was getting some dolls for her birthday.
 Saturday evening we went over to Bud's sister's house to celebrate David's birthday.  He and Danielle were up for the weekend.  Bud took the whole family bowling in the afternoon (no Michigan football games on TV to watch) I made ice cream in the morning and took it over as our contribution to the birthday dinner.
 The ice cream was a success.  It was great to see David and Danielle again.  They are doing well in Ann Arbor.  David is doing some research and Danielle is in Dental School.  We heard all about sculpting teeth and those things that first year dental students do.
While David is doing research, Danielle has to" carry" him.  Just a little joke.  David said that this is all the exercise that she gets in a week since she has to spend so much time going to class and studying.  It was a great evening and nice to catch up with everyone.  Charlotte was there with her boyfriend David but I just didn't take any pictures of them Sorry Charlotte.

So as you can see, the weekend was fun.  A new house going up for Leo, turning 6 for Cora and turning 23 for David.

No comments:

Post a Comment