Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Exciting weekend

This past weekend I went to Grand Rapids to check out Art Prize with Eva.  We have attended many years and it is always a nice time to walk around the newly rejuvenated downtown Grand Rapids.  This year was no exception.  Jessica had to work on Friday and she had already attended so it was just Eva and me but we had fun.  
This next piece is one of my favorite.  Jessica and I took a class from the artist a couple of years ago.  This piece is all made from pieces of fabric so I have a great respect for someone that can 'paint' with fabric.  It is called the Sleeping Bear Sand Dunes and consists of 4 panels.  Above is the first panel.
It is hard to get a picture of the whole piece with all the crowds around but I did my best.  
This is the second panel.
Third panel.
Fourth panel.
Of course we had to take a 'selfie'   we are standing in front of another beautiful piece that was impossible to take a picture of so we decided to take a picture of ourselves.  The piece behind us is all plants on many panels to create a wall of different colored flowers.  It was beautiful and very creative.
If you look closely behind the picture of the real angel, you will see an angel hanging from the ceiling in white.  This was a beautiful piece too.
Eva and I went to the Top 25 pieces in about 5 hours.  It was a good way to see the most important pieces without having to see all of them.
Jessica told me (after I came home) that the fabric pieces have made it into the Top 10 of the show.  I heard today that she is moving her piece outside because it has been in the Gerald Ford Museum and that has been closed because of the government shutdown.  I hope that doesn't have any impact on her ability to possibly win.  She is a very talented fabric artist, a wonderful woman and a great teacher.  I was especially impressed by her ability to share her art skills with people like me.
After our day at Art Prize, Eva and I did a little shopping before returning home exhausted from a great day together.

Saturday we were joined by Jessica.  We started by revisiting a furniture store and showing her the sofa and chair that I had picked out the day before.  We are planning to get new furniture in our living room and I love the sofa that Jessica picked out for her house.  This is the sofa that I want.  We will probably get a lighter gray color, maybe even the same color as Jessica has.  The chair is the one that I like best and it is a recliner.  The fabric on the corner is my choice for the chair.  We will look around up here too but Bud liked my choices too so we will probably go with them.  

I think that this looks comfortable don't you?
SO, after getting up from the chair I reached back and felt a little unusual breath of fresh air on my backside.  I was a little shocked that these jeans decided to give out but I do wear them a lot.  Fortunately, I had a sweater with me so I just wrapped it around my 'blowout' and we were on our way.  LOTS of laughter and fun sharing this 'moment' via text with family and friends but it was a funny moment.  
 I was able to find a new pair of jeans when we stopped in a store in Rockford.  They fit pretty well and they let me wear them out of the store.  Problem solved.
We also went to the Farmer's Market to check out some 'pumpkins on a twig' that Jessica wanted to buy.  Sorry, I forgot to take a picture of them.  They are quite a cute little fall decoration.  
Us girls spent the day together, checking out little shops and just having fun.  It was a great day.  

 I checked out Eva's garden before I left.  He has zinnias that are taller than she is.  She is a great gardener.


 Sunday afternoon we attended a concert here in TC.  Charlotte is the third from the left and she sang three beautiful songs at the concert.
 She is a beautiful young woman with a great voice.

And of course, her boyfriend David sang too.  It was a wonderful way to finish off a fun weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment