Thursday, April 8, 2010

NPR Celebrity

Last night I had an opportunity to listen to Diane Rehm in person at the Traverse City Opra House. Some of you might not know who she is but she is a radio show host on National Public Radio. She is on every day for 2 hours here. I listen to her every day. She is the host of a call in show that discusses our American culture with many guests and who ever can call in to the show. It is always an interesting discussion of current events. I like to listen to her because she truly has a discussion with the guests and the public. I also appreciate the fact that her discussions involve 'active' listening and open discussion. The discussions are full of different points of view with a wide variety of views. The discussions are always respectful with all parties allowed to express their opinions. She doesn't allow people to shout over each other and try to get across just their point of view without listening. If you don't know about her, try to tune in between 10-12 in the morning on your local NPR station.

She was a good speaker, and I enjoyed the evening with some friends. I think she represents the best of public radio and does a wonderful job of promoting truly reasonable public discourse about issues that are important to America. I admire her ability to interview and keep a discussion current and interesting.

1 comment:

  1. WOW! That's amazing that you got to see her in person. I'm a big fan too. Sounds like a wonderful evening. Diane and friends. Mmmm. Yes please :)

    My coveted job is the job I applied for awhile back, and then I removed my name, and now they've reposted it and I've put my name back in the mix. Council on Aging in Provincetown. It's been quite a "journey" on many levels and hard to be patient with it all.

    If we've lived lives before, I can see you as many characters....oh the places you've been! My theory is that is why you love to travel...and to read character books. You're remembering :)

    ReplyDelete