Tuesday, December 28, 2010

BOOKS, BOOKS BOOKS

I was blessed with a LOT of new books this Christmas.  I have my winter reading all lined up.  Life is good.  I am ready for any blizzard or just some very good days with fire and good books.
        Matt and Diana introduced me to a new author Suzanne Collins and a book called The Hunger Games.  It is the first book in a trilogy so I will have to continue the story.  I finished it already.  It was very captivating.  Diana described it as a 'teen version of The Handmaiden's Tale' and I kind of agree.  It is a futuristic book about how people live after civilization has been seriously disrupted with warfare. 
     Brittany was talking about a book she read during her first weeks of medical school which is called The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down.  It is a book about a Hmong Child and her American doctors and the collision of the two cultures.  I started it yesterday and it too is very interesting.  Sara said that she read it before starting her masters program.  It is very interesting to have this view into a different culture.  I am glad that Brittany shared with me. 
    Eva gave me a book called The Book Thief.  She read it for her book club and really enjoyed it.  I have another book by the same author waiting for me so I will look forward to reading both of them.
     I asked Bud for books for Christmas too.  I found this page in the December Time magazine that described what they considered the best books of 2010.  I decided that three of them really sounded interesting.  I know very little about them other than the description in the magazine. 
     Matterhorn is the first book that caught my eye. I had noticed this one in the bookstore and bought it for  Doug for Christmas.  It is a book about the Vietnam war by Karl Marlantes.  I will let you know how it turns out.  I read a little of it while in line at Borders waiting to check out and it sounded interesting. 
     The Thousand Autumns of Jacob deZoet is the next one that Bud bought for me It takes place in 18th century Japan while it was sealed away from Westerners.  It just sounded interesting.  I find that period of history interesting anyway. 
     Finally Bud bought me Faithful Place by Tana French.  Again I have another book by this author ready to read which is called In the Woods.  The book In the Woods was recommended highly by a reading friend so I hope that both of them are good. 
     All of these books are fairly thick so I have many hours of good reading ahead.  I will have to stay out of bookstores for a while.  I don't like my 'to read' stack to get too high.
   OK, I don't know how to make the background color match so I am going with this.  I did something strange and this is the way it looks today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment