Thursday, August 25, 2011

Channeling Sara

Yesterday I took a risk after noticing a small advertisement in the Arts section of the paper.  The ad was for learning relaxing and meditating techniques along with some fun art activities for women that would open your creative mind.  I called and signed up for this little evening adventure.  It started out with some relaxation techniques and meditating for about 20 minutes.  I must admit I am not very good at 'stilling my mind' in moments like that.  There is a lot of 'chatter' that continues while I try to relax my mind but I had my yoga mat and did my best.  I was pleased that there were so many women there, about 25 women of all ages and most seemed to be alone or just with another woman, no big groups of women exploring this together because that would make it 'safer'.  Maybe that is just my projection.  But I too was alone, not to be influenced by a safe friend to introduce me into this world.

After the introduction we went into a room that was set up with all kinds of artistic activities available for us to do.  Some were more interesting than others but all of them helped you with your creative mind and opening you up to have fun and explore.


This is one of my more frivolous pieces.  I am sorry that I can't turn it the other direction.  Anyway I was working with a paint brush and the brown ink.  There was a name for this kind of work but I can't remember it.  Suddenly this PIG appeared in the work,  (It is just above the red spot in case you can't see it like I did.)  Well, I just decided to go with the pig thing and really be foolish.  I took it over to another table and embellished it with little pieces of glass, feathers, finger paint and a few words.  Silly but fun.
 These two were my first two pieces and really not too imaginative.  The one on the right is just a damp coffee filter with dots of paint on it and then you put it in a pie pan with some marble.
                                        
These are the last two activities.  The top one is just wallpaper cut up and make a collage the bottom one is a little folded book that we made. 

So,  I thought of Sara a lot when I was with this group.  Channeling Sara was my evening's mantra.  The evening ended up with the leader doing some Tibetan chants.  A very interesting way to end the day. 

1 comment:

  1. wow I am impressed with your Zen!!! you are enlarging your horizons!! kathy

    ReplyDelete