Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Last dinner and last job before university bound


Sunday evening we went over to the cottage to have dinner and say goodbye to Jack.  He left for his first year at the University of Michigan yesterday. 


 It was a wonderful dinner and a good evening with the family. 
Today David came over and did some planting for me.  It is his last job before joining Jack and Brittany at U of M this week.  I had him transplant some ivy from the area behind our woods to a place beside the driveway.  The ivy was very thick in the woods behind our house so it was hard to dig up.  I knew that I would never get to this job so I quickly recruited David to do it for me.  We have a few holes in the ivy in the woods but I am confident that it will fill in within a year and it is just the woods.  The ivy that he planted is on the left side of the driveway as you pull in to our garage.  I had some large pots there earlier but we moved them.  That area is kind of wild and hard to keep free of weeds.  I decided that the best thing to do is to 'recycle' what we already have and fill it in.  If the ivy spreads and covers that area more, it would be great.  That whole side of the driveway is just sandy woods with nothing really planted in that space until now.  I think it should be very easy to take care of that space now and still have it look like it is really purposefully landscaped, not just let grow up into weeds and woods.  The ivy is so thick that I doubt the weeds will survive in that area.  I am always looking for simple solutions that don't require work on my part since gardening really isn't my thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment