Tuesday, September 6, 2011

All Decked out

Bud worked all weekend on his newest decking projects.  He told me it was a good thing that the weather was not good for sailing.  He is getting closer and closer to reaching his goal of having some sort of decking or flat surface around the house to walk on.  I'm not sure why he wants that surface but he is willing to build it so it will happen. 
 This is the right hand corner as you look at our house from the road.  This is the last area for him to put the decking.  He worked on this yesterday (Monday) and it is almost finished.  He just has to screw the boards on the frame. 
 He built this part last weekend.  You can also see that we had some stones delivered and some workers put down these flat pieces of stone with the 'river rocks' around them on the side of the garage.  It looks very nice.
 The first area he filled in was the area between the house and the new garage.  He used the flat stones that were in the back of the house to fill in this area.  It is a narrow little walkway but it looks nice. 
 Kevin is building this area.  You can see our front door is on the left and the old garage is on the right.  This area had old railroad ties that were used for steps and crumbling fast.  He cleared out the flat rocks to bring the electricity into the house from the new garage so that really dug up that area a lot.  The part next to the house was just filled with large rocks because it is under the 'drip line' of the roof and rarely gets water.  Now it has this nice little walkway. 
 This is just another view of Kevin's deck.  He is here today and has finished it off.  It looks very nice.  We will let it 'weather' a couple of years and then stain it a dark brown. 
This is the save view that I showed in the first picture but now it has the boards on the top. 

SO..... you can see that Bud has been very busy.  I have been working on a very bright quilt too.  I will show pictures when it is finished.  I am continuing to use up my scraps. 

We did have time to go out to the movies this weekend.  Saturday night we went to see 'The Help'.  It was as terrific of a movie as the book was.  I read the book a couple of years ago and loved it.  I have given it as gifts many times and also enjoyed the movie.  I strongly recommend. it to everyone.  It is a good history lesson and a good lesson on how to live a good life.  Sunday night we went to see 'Cowboys and Aliens'  (Bud's choice this time)  It was fairly good for an action movie.  I really didn't expect it to be a 'serious' action movie though.  Somehow I had the impression that it was a comedy.  Well it wasn't.  It was kind of like and 'Indiana Jones' movie of the west.  Bud enjoyed it but I don't think it will win any awards.  Just entertaining. 

I hope you had a good "Labor Day" weekend.  All is well with the family.  Sara told me that Erik is in the U.S. so I hope to see him while he is here.  Sara and Leo are enjoying Sara's Norway family that are visiting.  Her mother and all her siblings were out at the Cape.  Good family times.  Leo said that he did manage to get a couple of days off this weekend and made it down to his 10 acres to do a little 'outdoor' work.  Eva spent the long weekend with her grandchildren in TN.  Jessica and Doug went 'pontooning' at the lodge. (I told her that I didn't think that was a real verb but would accept it in a text.  That is the "family report" for this week.

1 comment:

  1. I am impressed with Bud's talents...do you rent him out?? We are on the way home and will see you soon. Kathy

    ReplyDelete