Thursday, February 9, 2012

More projects

I have been working on completing my projects.  I started this quilt about a year ago.  It was my plan to use up the fabrics in my 'stash' and use this pinwheel pattern.  It is very receptive to using scraps.  I was surprised at how long it took to complete it.  I did finish many projects in between and it was just my project to 'go to' when I didn't have anything planned.  I worked on it a little at a time until I ran out of the white fabric.  That was my determining factor in how big it would be.  It is a good size quilt that would go on a queen size bed as a bedspread or a king size bed that you would need pillow shams to complete the look. 
 The blocks are really smaller than I thought.  If I had to do over, I might make them a little bigger and the quilt would go a little faster.  I like this quilt because I used leftover bits and pieces of various other quilts.  It is fun to look at the blocks and remember who I made something for and the pattern I used to make their treasure.  Quilts do tell stories and this one reminds me of other projects and people. 
This is a table runner that my friend Kathy gave me several years ago.  It was a kit that she gave me as a birthday present.  I put it together but never got to the quilting part.  She helped me get started on the quilting part a couple of years ago but I didn't have the confidence to actually do it.  After learning how to do the 'free motion' quilting a few weeks ago, I decided I would complete this project too.  I still have a lot to learn when it comes to 'free motion' quilting but I am getting better.  I still prefer to give my projects to my quilter and let her do that part but it is nice to have the confidence to do smaller projects. 

I hope you were able to get out of your 'comfort zone' and take on a new challenge some time or maybe learn from me and give something new a try this week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment