Monday, April 23, 2012

Fun Weekend


I went away for the weekend.  I left on Thursday right after spending the afternoon in Kingsley for my usual volunteer day.  I arrived in Grand Rapids in time to have dinner with a room mate from college.  She and I went to Europe together in '77 so she was the one to get me hooked on traveling.  We had a nice dinner and a good chat, catching up on each others lives.  She has adopted 2 children from Russia and is a busy mother and a sometime writer.  
We had dinner at Eva's favorite Mexican restaurant, it is close to Sue's house too.  I am sure that we look just like we did in those days at CMU in the early 70s.  If you don't think so, just keep it to yourself.
 Friday morning my Coleman Cousins, Greta and Kay arrived in time for lunch.  I made vegetable soup and we began our weekend of catching up on each others lives.
 Jessica stopped by so I was able to get a group picture.  Once again, we look just the same as always.  Coleman sure must have something good in the water so that so many beautiful women managed to come from there.
 We took off for an afternoon of shopping.  It was a rainy and chilly day so inside activities were on the agenda.  Greta is looking for a sofa bed/futon for her new house.  One must try them out, at least that is what Eva said.

And of course, you must find out if 2 people would be able to sleep there.
 I think it is best for one person but it was comfortable to sit on.

After an afternoon of shopping and looking (mostly looking) we went to dinner and then home for more talking, laughing and sharing.  We finally gave in to sleep about midnight.
 Saturday was a nicer day with more sunshine.  It was still a little chilly but we decided that Meijer Gardens would be a great place to visit.  It was warm inside the tropical plant exhibit.  The butterflies were spectacular at the butterfly exhibit.

If you haven't ever had a chance to visit a butterfly exhibit, you should try some time.  They are flying all around you, landing on the flowers and looking very beautiful.  So many different kids of butterflies.  I loved the beauty of the butterflies and the flowers.
After the butterflies we went on a tram tour of the gardens.  It was colder outside but they gave us blankets to keep warm and we took in the beauty of the sculptures and the spring gardens.  Those gardens are a wonderful place to visit.

Kay and Greta went back home late in the day on Saturday.  I stayed another night with Eva.  We did a little more shopping and relaxing together in the evening.  I came home on Sunday.

So, you can see that I had a wonderful weekend with family and friends.  It is always a good thing to catch up with both family and friends, sharing memories of things in the past and renewing your bonds by making new memories.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, you absolutely do look wonderful, so I don't want to detect any sarcasm. I LOVE catching up with old friends so I'm glad you enjoyed the dinner.

    ReplyDelete