Friday, May 4, 2012

Charity quilting

At my last quilt group meeting I volunteered to bring home some 3 1/2 inch squares and make them into something for the group to give to a charity.  We make quilts for several groups such as Habitat for Humanity, Munson Infusion Clinic and more that I can't think of.  Anyway, I haven't made anything for them the last 3 years that I have been a part of the group so I thought I could make something for them.  I must admit the squares were of "questionable' quality but I did put them together anyway.  I decided to put a strip between them with some of my own fabric, just to kind of bring together the scraps.  
 I think it turned out pretty good for such a wide variety of fabrics.
 I also decided to do the backing in some of my leftover pieces and began digging into my own 'questionable' fabric box.  I found several large pieces of fabric leftover from the 80s when I was making bunnies and teddy bears.  I pieced together this backing for the first quilt.
 While looking through my OLD fabric box I found a LOT of these shades of blue and mauve.  I know that I made bunnies out of this fabric in the 80s and really don't want the fabric for anything now.  It isn't my taste AND the fabric is quite inexpensive, not as sturdy as the fabric I use now.  This looks kind of cute but way too country for me.  What was I thinking???My tastes have changed a lot.
I also decided to use up the scraps for the backing of the quilt.  I had some pretty big pieces of fabric and tried to make it look cute on the back too.  I only saved enough of this fabric style for the binding and the rest which was in much smaller pieces was tossed.  I am done with the blue/mauve color pallet now.  I am happy that I used it up and it is going to a good cause.

SO. do a little something for someone you don't even know the next time you get a chance.  It is nice to give something and attach your own story to the piece, wondering who will use it and what they will think of your work but not ever knowing what effect that your work may have.  Anonymous giving is good for the soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment