Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Weekend Update

Memorial Day weekend was fairly quiet for us.  I had invited Leo to visit but he declined.  He has been working the day shift and it seems that this shift has kind of interrupted his unusual sleep pattern.  After several years of working nights and afternoons, he has become accustomed to coming home from work and going to sleep.  You can't do that very well on the day shift if you want to sleep at night. He also said that he was planning to go to the 10 acres and work on his lawn mower.  
Kind of the same thing happened here in TC.  After the rainstorm on Sunday cleared up, Bud went with Walt over to the boat and they worked on getting it ready for the new summer season.  I stayed at home and did my usual reading and sewing activities.  The Nobles kindly invited us over for dinner Sunday evening so we were able to see most of the kids.  
 Charlotte, Sue, Walt and Jack at dinner.  We had wonderful salmon from the grill and great conversation around the table.  The only one missing was David.  He stayed in Ann Arbor to study for his MCATS,  For those of you that don't know what it stands for (like me who doesn't know exactly what the letters stand for), it is his medical school admission exams of some kind.  He will take them this week and I am sure that he will do very well.  We did miss him though.  
 Brittany was there with her fiance John.  She has started her 'rotations' in medical school so she is enjoying some patient contact now.
We really enjoyed the evening with the family.  It is nice to be included and to see everyone.  Great family, great kids and terrific parents.  Our future is secure with these kids running it.
Monday Bud did a lot of lawn work in the heat of N. Michigan.  The lawn looks great or as great as our lawn can look.  We don't really have a great lawn but we do live in the woods so we do our best.
I stayed inside out of the heat and worked on my sewing.  This is my latest project.  I have shown this quilt in earlier posts with just the center piece.  I have now added the pieces around the edge.  The blocks are all stars and the center piece is suppose to be in the shape of a star.  The green part is the star.  It is a little hard to see the 'star' in some of the pieces but that may be the fault of my choice of fabric.  This quilt was a bit of a challenge, trying to see how each block turned out.  Each block starts with about 6 different pieces/colors of fabric and you then piece them together so it is often difficult to visualize how the block will turn out with your color choices.  Some of them turned out better than others.  Overall I am happy with the way it is progressing.  I still have another group of smaller stars to put around the edge.  I am making this quilt larger than the pattern so I am designing as I go, hoping that everything works out.

Bud was rewarded for all his hard work out in the heat when he came inside to take a shower.  The bathroom sink drains have plugged up :( so the rotor-rooter guys will come today.  Not the way he had planned to end his weekend.

I hope you had some fun this weekend and yours didn't end up like Bud's with a disappointment.  However, you know Bud, he just took it in stride and called in the professionals.  They will come and solve our problem some time today.

1 comment: