Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Happy Retail Thanksgiving

OK,OK, I am resting quietly in my home listening to NPR as they discuss the new practice of stores opening their doors earlier than midnight for Black Friday.  Now it seems that stores will be opening their doors earlier or maybe even some of them not closing for Thanksgiving so that employees will need to miss the holiday time with their family.
Now I know that I am going to risk sounding like I am out of touch with current culture but wouldn't it be nice if we could just have a holiday to relax, enjoy family, friends, football and food without having to make it a retail experience too.  I was amazed by the practice of people getting up or maybe not even sleeping and going out at midnight.  It really isn't a practice that attracted me.  I must admit that I have indulged in the practice of heading out Thursday morning with coupons in hand, getting some good deals and saving some money but I do think that the line should be drawn at 'regular' store hours.
I know that this is driven by DEALS that are offered but it is also driven by SHOPPERS.  The retail stores wouldn't do it if people didn't show up.  Family traditions seem to be slipping. As a 'social liberal' I would like to see this practice stopped.

SO, give your family values a boost for America.  Stay out of the stores on Thanksgiving.  Spend time with family doing all the traditional things and skip the retail experience.  Maybe you could even express your thankfulness regarding our blessings here in America.  I feel very blessed with wonderful families to spend this Thanksgiving time with.  I am looking forward to catching up with everyone's activities, listening to stories, laughing and maybe even watching a little football.  OH, I forgot to mention that I also get to eat turkey twice and that is also something to be thankful for.

Blessings to all of you this coming week.  I know that I am blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment