Thursday, November 1, 2012

HELP I've fallen and I can't get up

WELL. a lot has happened since my last post. I will start at the beginning though.  Monday I drove down to Coleman for the funeral of my Aunt Ruth, Dad's oldest sister and the 4th in line in his family.  If you didn't read the previous post, check that information out.  
The family all gathered although the oldest generation is getting smaller.  Aunt Ruth was Greta's mother for those of the family that can't remember all of them.  Greta is my age (actually a few months younger than me as I am sure she would point out)  so I spent many Sunday afternoons over at their house.  It was about a mile away so I would walk over to see her and spend the long Sunday afternoon.  This is Greta's daughter Rachael.  NO, they didn't plan this 'look alike' day but it sure does look great.  Greta thought it was cuter than Rachael.  I just thought it was a 'picture perfect' moment.  

 Here we have the GIRLS.  Eva, Greta, Me, Kay and Darleen Clarke.  We all look pretty good for being over 60.
 Of course many of you know about my latest adventure because I have been sending text messages.  Tuesday evening I was walking downstairs, talking to Bud about something and carrying a glass of my Ruby Red Squirt, heading for the TV room to watch something.  I guess I was a little distracted with what I was saying and didn't notice that I had 2 more steps instead of just 1 so I stepped out into the air and down those two steps.  Can you believe it that I didn't spill much of the glass of Squirt??  I didn't go all the way down and the glass was almost full.  It did hurt a bit but I quickly found something to soak up the Squirt and complained that my foot hurt a little bit. I put ice on it and elevated it, hoping it was nothing but a sprain.  I went to bed, slept all night but in the morning it was quite swollen.  I called my doctor and they sent me to Urgent Care.  There the x-rays told us that I have 2 broken toes and the bones are separated and not in line any more.  That requires an orthopedic doctor to figure out the next step  but we are guessing that it may require some surgery and some pins.  I will find out this afternoon.
Bud has be his usual VERY helpful self.  I have a 'nest' around one of the chairs in the living room complete with a cooler full of pop and my book.
I am not very well balanced on the crutches, walking down the stairs was a very difficult experience last evening.  SO. Bud brought up the TV and installed it in the room beside the bedroom although I don't watch much daytime TV.  It will be helpful on some boring days though.
I did get up this morning and manage to take a shower, wash my hair, fix my coffee and have breakfast.  Last night Bud drove up to Sonja's house and she gave us a walker that she had so that is a much more stable way for me to get around.  I don't worry about tipping backwards.  I never realized that crutches were so hard to use but now have a whole new appreciation for anyone that must use them and a new appreciation for the stability of a walker.  I think that I will use both of them depending on the situation.  I know that my upper arms are getting quite a workout.  My only hope is that through this experience I develop "Michael Obama" arms.
Kathy was my first visitor.  She came by today and brought chili for dinner tonight.  What a great friend.

SO, I am learning to be humble (quite a difficult lesson for me) and thankful for a wonderful husband, family and friends. I am also thankful for good drugs.  I took a nice nap this morning and am remembering to rest and recover.
Thank you all for your kind text messages of concern. I will continue to keep my blog up and let you know how I am doing. I think it will be about a 6 week recovery time so lots of good books and maybe I will even get better on the crutches.  I probably won't be driving though since it is my right foot.  I will keep smiling though.  Life is full of excitement and this is just one more experience that I will share with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment