Sunday, December 9, 2012

Home bound but still getting things done

I am going into my 7th week of being home bound.  This coming Tuesday it will be 6 weeks since I broke my foot and have been unable to drive.  I will be very glad to see the doctor on Friday and see if this cast can come off and I will be released.  It has actually gone quite fast considering.  I am thankful that I was able to have some time to travel with Eva out to the Cape and visit Sara and Leo.  That seems like a long time ago.  I am also thankful that my wonderful husband has managed to get me out of the house as often as possible.  This past week we attended parties on Thursday and Friday evenings so I was able to dress up my cast and go out to see people.  Saturday night we also went to the movies although I don't think that Bud enjoyed the movie as much as I did.  I chose the movie since I wanted to see Anna Karenina, toe Tolstory movie about Imperial Russia.  I spent one summer many years ago reading this book and decided that I would like to see the movie.  I liked it, the acting was fantastic but the 'staging' of the movie was a little different.  Again, I liked it but Bud wasn't as sold as I was.  By 'staging' I mean that it was kind of a stage play combined with movie effects.  It is hard to explain but it was a good movie and makes me want to go back and try the book again.  It is hard to read Russian stories sometimes because I always get the names all mixed up.  However, it is the eternal love story well told and I am always a sucker for well told stories.  
 Today it began to snow.  It was light snow at first and then it really picked up.  It is a wet heavy snow that sits on the branches of every tree so the world around us is totally white.  It is a nice look if you don't have to drive in it. AND, I don't have to drive in it.  I am thankful that my days of driving 20 miles to work in the snow every day are over.  I don't miss that part at all although I do miss going down to school now that I have this broken foot.  I hope to resume my volunteering as soon as I am free to drive.
 I have managed to keep busy though.  I finished my tree wall hanging just today.  It looks beautiful.  I did my own quilting, which means that I did the stitching of the back to the front with the batting in between.  That is a step that I usually get my quilter to do but since this was a smaller quilt and the owner of my favorite quilt store gave me some tips on how to work with it, I thought I would give it a try.  It was a nice feeling to know that I could complete the entire project.  Maybe I will try to do this more often with smaller projects.  That will save me a little money and help me develop another skill.  I think I will hang this above my fireplace in the living room or in the kitchen.  It will require me putting a hanger on the back and getting something on the stone wall to secure it to.  That shouldn't take too much work.
Finally I made this little receiving blanket today.  I have made several of these little blankets which are about 35' square.  I learned how to make them when I bought some flannel from one of my local quilt stores.  They included the pattern but if any of you quilters want to know how to make them, you can go to Youtube and enter 'One hour receiving blanket' and there are several tutorials on how to make them. They are easy to make because you just bring the back piece of fabric around and over the front piece to make the border.  It turns out so cute.  They make great gifts for babies.  I took 4 of them out to the Cape for those babies.

Bud is busy this time of year, finishing up projects.  He had to work all weekend to just keep ahead.  He just came in from doing a little shoveling.  I talked to Leo earlier.  He too has been busy.  In the last 2 weeks he only had 1 day off (last night) and the week before this past week he put in 47 hours of overtime.  That is busy.  He has vacation time starting this coming Friday.  I am hoping that he comes up for a few days.  I am also hoping that I will be able to go down there and help him shop for possible houses.  I have been doing some online and phone research for him on modular, double wide, or single wide homes to put on his 10 acres.  I hope to have a plan ready for action when spring comes.

SO, even though I  have been housebound, I have managed to keep fairly busy.  My shopping is almost done and I need to wrap presents.  Maybe this week I will work on that before I get my 'freedom' to drive.

You know, I really just do the things that I like to do and ignore the things that I should do but that is retirement and I'm not making any excuses.  I am happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment