Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Farming the easy way

You probably won't believe it but we have joined a CSA (Community Sustainable Agriculture) or I think that is what it is called. Every Wednesday I receive fresh in season fruits and vegetables. We have been eating a lot of lettuce. Last week we received some bok choi ( I don't know how to spell it) I had to go on the Internet and find a way to fix it. This is part of the farm near Elk Rapids that I go to when it is my turn to pick up the food. We are sharing this abundance with a friend that lives near the farm.
The food is in these little green bags with our name on them. We just go there and pick up the bag with our name on it and divide it in half. Today was my day to pickup the food. I delivered it to MaryAnne's house. I will bring along a few items when we go on our boat trip.

This is my selection for this week: beets, onions, two kinds of lettuce and fresh peas. Not a lot but just enough.
We are leaving this afternoon for our annual houseboat trip in Kentucky. Josh is coming up from Texas, Sara and Leo are coming from Mass. Matt and Diana and girls are coming from Tennessee and of course the Michigan group of Eva, Jess, Doug, Bud and me. We are really looking forward to spending the time together. Joy and sadness will be with us on this trip too. Joy, for the time together and sadness for the loss of David a year ago on Sunday. It is a good way to honor David's life, spending time with family. We will miss you Erik but will be thinking of you.

1 comment:

  1. Hurray Hurray for CSA!!! I am soooooo syked you're doing this. Leo and I joined a CSA when we lived in Alexandria, VA and LOVED LOVED LOVED it. It's the best ever for the community, for the farmer, for you investors and your bodies and tastebuds :) Eating seasonal, eating local. I bet G&G Lewis would be pretty interested in this. Smilin' down.

    ReplyDelete