Friday, June 4, 2010

Quilting 'outside my comfort zone'

I am taking a new quilt class this week and am really outside my comfort zone. This is a picture of one of the quilts that the instructor made. You can see the scrolls that have stripes. Here is another example of the scrolls that have been put together in the form of a butterfly. I think this one is just OK but I still like the style.
This one is beautiful and full of color. notice the stripes and the colors.

Well, I was sent out to pick out my colors. The idea is to pick out a stripe and then find a color to put with it but it should be on the opposite side of the color wheel. I chose this purple/magenta stripe and she suggested the green to go with it.



Then I went with the green stripe here with the red color through it. She said the blue would be good with this. Now, I would have switched the plain fabrics around on these two but I just had to trust the process and the instructor.


Finally this is a light blue background with several different colors of stripes. Here she suggested the gold/orange to go with it. This is the color combination that I started on today.


Here is my first scroll. You can see the stripes and how the piece on the left looks like it is wrapped around. The one on the right is a different wrap showing kind of the other side of the wrap.

Today I spent the day putting this together and started stitching on it. I hope to have this scroll put together by about noon tomorrow and to start on another scroll. I am making three scrolls, using the three sets of fabrics I showed above, and then I will place them on a background in kind of a circle with the points going into the middle. I don't know which stripe I will start on next.
This process is very different for me. I am learning a lot of new skills. First of all I am stitching together these curves. I am also doing applique which is a new skill for me too. That involves zig-zaging these pieces together. My background for this quilt will be a plain black and If it turns out I may use it as a wall hanging and hang it in our entrance of our house where we have those banners hanging right now. I will have to 'sell' it to Bud first. I haven't shared the fabric and design with him yet. It is a little 'out there'. I wanted to get part of it done before I showed him what I am doing and see if he would consider it hanging in the house. We have been looking for something new to put there so maybe this will be the piece.
Tomorrow is the last day and then I will have to finish it on my own. I am thankful that my friend Mary Anne is doing this too because we will be able to encourage each other. Another person taking the class is the owner of my favorite quilt shop so she will be a help too. It is an exhausting project but I am enjoying it most of the time.




1 comment:

  1. Wow that is some impressive quilting there! It's beautiful. Gayle

    ReplyDelete