Monday, October 1, 2012

Iowa, Corn, family and Spirit Lake

We are having a great time on the road.  Our first day started off a little slow, we had trouble making it out of town very quickly but it really didn't matter since we weren't on a schedule.  We made up for it on the road and made it as far as Des Moines, Iowa before stopping.   

 LOTS and LOTS of cornfields were being harvested along the highway.  It was an interesting sight.  I have not been through this part of the U.S. in the fall so seeing the harvesting instead of the tall green stalks was different.
 On our way over to see Uncle Eldon we stopped in Renwick, where he lived before moving into assisted living in Humboldt.  I remember visiting this town when I was a little girl.  I think the last time I was here was when I was about 12 or 13.  It was always a fun trip to visit them on their farm.  The farmhouse where they lived is not there anymore and Bud and I looked for the house in town but my memories of that far away time were a little cloudy, even with Eva's help of trying to direct me over the phone.
 We made it to the nursing home where Uncle Eldon is now staying about 1:00.  He was expecting someone because I had called to inform the staff that I was coming but they got the name mixed up and/or he did and he heard Verdella which he knew wasn't the correct name since that is my mom (his sister) and she is no longer here on this earth.  Anyway, we had a nice visit.  His lady friend came over later in the afternoon and joined us for a while.  Uncle Eldon is 92 years old.  We figured out that we both have August birthdays and he is 30 years older than me.  He is looking pretty good and has a sound mind.  He has always been a kind and wonderful man.  He is living out his final years as gracefully as possible.  He was thrilled to have family visiting him since he rarely has any family to visit him.  All the family from his side live in Michigan and Iowa really isn't on the way to many places.  Eva does stop to see him about once a year though and he is thankful for her visits.
 After leaving Uncle Eldon we set off for Spirit Lake.  We have heard about this beautiful place from all the Schoon family and wanted to check it out. It was a challenge to get an address for the GPS since everyone just seems to drive there by 'auto pilot'.  Sue, David's sister, did manage to give us some pretty good directions though and we did find it.  It is a beautiful place.
 We arrived in time for the sunset in this quiet place of Iowa.
 I can't even imagine the stories that have been told around this campfire.
We did take this little picture for 'history' in the event that someone else wants to find the cabin and the family doesn't know the address.  It all worked out for us though.

We continued north and today we will stop in Souix Falls for a short visit with Ruth, David's mother, and continue on to Mount Rushmore.  More adventures to meet these next few days.
I hope all is well with you and thanks to all of you that tried to help me find the cabin.

No comments:

Post a Comment