Sunday, October 28, 2012

Weekend activities.

Friday evening Bud had a dinner commitment so I decided to have a date with Leo.  We arranged to meet in Cadillac for dinner.  I hadn't seen him in a month or so and decided he needed a little time with his sister.  We had a good dinner and a nice talk.  It was great to just meet him half way.  We need to work at doing that more often.  It is about and hour drive for me and about 45 minutes for him  


 Saturday I took another class on landscape quilting.  I took a class with Jessica from this lady last winter.  This one was a little different and it was a fall scene.  I had a little more trouble with this one.  I think I put too much color in the background so the trees didn't show up as much.  It is an interesting technique and I enjoy working on this type of project.  This lady was at Art Prize in Grand Rapids and was in the top 25 so she is very talented.  She is a great teacher and a wonderful artist with small pieces of fabric.
Bud spent the morning working at the Yacht Club helping with fall clean up.  In the afternoon he started on our yard.  It was quite covered with leaves.  He only worked a while and then we decided that a movie would be in order for us in the evening.  We went to see Argo.  It was an interesting movie that centered around the Iranian Hostage problem in the Jimmy Carter administration.  Since it was just a review of history for the two of us, we found it interesting.  Of course since Bud was beside me, I could be reminded of the actual events when we talked about the movie later. He has a wealth of information about history in his brain so I was able to be reminded of the actual events.  The movie followed the events pretty closely and we both enjoyed watching it.
 Today Bud went back to his leaf project.  He managed to pile up this large pile, waiting for someone to come and pick them up.  It is quite a big pile.
 Then He decided he needed to mow the lawn one more time.  I told him I didn't think it was necessary but he didn't listen to me and did it anyway.  I think that we are ready for winter.
 While Bud was working outside, I was inside doing laundry and sewing.  This is a new project that I am working on.  I just started it this past week.  I am using fabric that I already had and trying out this pattern. I am 'making it my own' by changing some things and just using a couple of different fabrics instead of the 8 different ones that was recommended by the pattern.  Besides, I wanted to use up my old fabrics, not buy some new ones.  I am about half way finished.  You can see the tree emerging from the part that I am working on.  It will be a wall hanging.  I am making some smaller projects after finishing that large quilt I showed in my last posting.  I like the way this one is turning out.
This is the pattern cover.  I think mine will look great too, just different.

SO, don't be afraid to make things your own, think outside the pattern and break a few rules.

I wanted to include a picture of Aunt Ruth in this posting but was unsuccessful in uploading the picture that I found.  I don't exactly know why I couldn't upload it but I became frustrated and gave up.  Anyway, Aunt Ruth, Dad's sister, died this past week.  She is the 4th child in his family to die.  She was a great, tough Lewis, living to be 94 years old.  She was the oldest girl too so she will be missed by her younger brothers and sisters.  Just like a Lewis, she was the next one in line and so it was her time to go.  The children in Dad's family are leaving this world in the same order that they arrived.  It all seems a bit strange but it is just part of 'Lewis story'.  Tomorrow I will drive to Coleman for the funeral.  I am glad that I stopped to see her this summer, just before she turned 94.  She was a Lewis, through and through and a wonderful woman.  She will be missed by all but I'm sure that she is in a much better place.

So, spend time with family, enjoy a hobby, do a little work and break a few rules, maybe even 'be a Lewis' if you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment