Thursday, March 11, 2010

My day at the farm

First of all I must apologize for all the pictures but I am unable to edit them very well so you just get a lot of them.
When I arrived and we went out to this tin shed to look for the boat I kept hearing the sound of a cat. Then it came out. It was VERY friendly and came right up to us and rubbed against my leg. It looked very healthy so I know it hasn't been here too long. I teased Leo when he arrived that he didn't tell me that he had gotten a cat. Today I called around down in Coleman and this cat may belong to Kari who moved into the new house next to the church. I told her dad about the cat so she will go over and check it out. She had a couple of cats but she thought that a coyote got her cat the other night. Anyway, if it isn't her cat I will tell the new owners and maybe they have the bonus of a cat with their new farm.
The snowman had melted and I did pose this hat on the only ball left. I then sent the hat with the tractor to Matt.

I know that I keep including pictures of the house so if you get tired, I won't be able to do this many more times.



This is Brian loading the motorcycle in his truck. He thought this was kind of cool and we encouraged him to try to get Matt to give it to him.




They didn't push the tractor on to the trailer but did do some pushing to get it in place.




Here is the tractor on the trailer ready to go. I had to include a couple of views.







And the load is leaving. We couldn't get the fishing boat on the trailer so it will go over to Leo's place and will be picked up at another date.


So I asked Leo about how Dad got the tractor to the farm. Leo said that Dad hired a man that had a trailer and they went to an auction in Ohio. Dad wanted a tractor but didn't know if there would be one that he could buy. He hired this man to take him down to the auction. Dad agreed that he would pay the gas even if they didn't find a tractor for him to buy. So anyway they found this one, probably in about 1953 or 54. It was used at the time but Dad used it a lot too. He always took pretty good care of it. I think that it was always stored inside. Leo continued to take good care of it when he lived at the farm, fixing up several things that needed fixed. There are MANY pictures of children and grandchildren on this tractor. I'm glad that it is now in a new home. I now have a new scanner so maybe I will look up some of those old 'black and white' pictures of us kids on the tractor and scan them on to the blog.
I hope you enjoyed this little picture story of our family tractor.






I almost forgot, this is the red pencil sharpner that was always right outside the bedroom door in the hallway. Many a pencil was sharpened on this pencil sharpener. We are leaving this behind. The new owner remarked that they had one just like it in the house that she grew up in so I thought that would be a nice thing to leave.











No comments:

Post a Comment