Wednesday, November 2, 2011

New project

I left my 'Block of the Month' project since I am several months ahead of the group.  I went back to this project that I started a month of so ago.  I took this class and I needed to return to it before I forgot all that I had learned.  It is called "Stack and Whack".  That sounds kind of strange and I will try to explain this process without going into too much detail that it is boring. 
You must start with a fabric that has a repeat pattern (think of wallpaper and hoe it has a repeat pattern)  Then you cut up 8 sections of this repeat pattern.  The next step it to stack those repeat patterns on top of each other, making sure that all 8 layers match exactly.  Then you cut the strips through all 8 layers and make those strips into the diamond shape.  If you look closely at all 8 of these diamond shapes they should look exactly the same.  (If I did a good job at stacking and whacking) 
 The next step is to put in the background.  It looks kind of complicated but it really isn't that hard.  I use triangle shapes and added them to the diamond shapes and then made them into a square and finally put all the 4 squares together to make the big square.  If it goes together correctly the seams match and it goes together to make this star shape. 
I had a hard time finding fabric that I liked that also had a repeat pattern.  I settled on this Christmas fabric because I liked the colors.  I really didn't know what I would do with the quilt after I put it together but it was all about learning how to do the technique.  When I started working on it at home I began to think that it would make nice banners.  Many of you may know that I have banners hanging in my entrance way along those long walls.  I have been wanting a change there.  Bud suggested several months ago that I could make different sets of banners for different seasons.  I was a little nervous about undergoing that project but after seeing this block I decided that this will be the first set of banners that I make. I will take my time and this won't be ready to hang up for this Christmas but I now have a plan and am thinking of other designs that I may use for that hallway.  I really don't need any more quilts so making seasonal banners for our house may be my project for this coming year.  I am thinking of a snowflake design of some kind for winter, maybe something floral for spring, I don't know about summer, and leaves for the fall. I already know what I want to do for the leaves so that will be where I go next. 

I continue to keep busy with my quilting and it does challenge my mind on a regular basis.  I rarely go a day without spending a couple of hours at the sewing machine and loving it all the time. 

I hope you all find ways to spend time doing something you love. 

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful blocks!! I am so impressed. Can't wait to see the finished project. Glad you have such joy with your sewing. I feel the same. Kathy

    ReplyDelete