Sunday, January 22, 2012

Weekend activities.

It has been a fairly busy weekend for a retired woman.  Saturday I went to a baby shower for the daughter-in-law of a friend.  I had made a quilt and a teddy bear for the new baby, Sophia.  She was a cute little baby, only 3 weeks old.  They waited until after the baby was born to have the shower and that was nice.  We were all able to see the new baby. 
In the evening we had decided to go to the movies.  The movie Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close was opening in the local 'art theater'.  I read the book a couple of weeks ago and was very interested in seeing the movie.  When we arrived downtown the line for the movie was way down the block.  We were afraid that there wouldn't be very good seats left by the time we were able to get in so we went to the nearby bookstore and checked out the new arrivals.  Then we bought tickets for the 1:00 movie today.  As a conciliation prize we went to the ice cream store across the street and then came back home for the evening.  Today we did make it to the movie.  It is an incredibly good movie.  I strongly encourage everyone to see it.  The story/stories were moving and well acted.  They stayed fairly close to the book with a little deviation at the end.  I can say that the movie did justice to the book and the acting was fantastic.  The little boy in the movie is an 'unknown' and I heard somewhere that the producers saw him on Jeopardy and called him in for an audition.  I was very impressed with his acting for someone so young and such a difficult topic.  Go see it if you have a chance and read the book too.  You won't be disappointed. 
Today I finally finished my art work from my quilting class that I took last weekend with Jessica.  I just finished the hand stitching on the border this evening.  It is hard to see all the details in the piece but try clicking on the picture and enlarging it to check out the detail. I love it and I am very proud of the way it turned out.  I haven't heard if Jessica has finished hers yet but will post a picture of hers when she sends it to me.  I have a few other projects to work on but I will get back to this technique again.  It is a fun way to combine fabric and art.  I think it is easier to 'paint' with fabric than I ever thought it would be and possibly easier for me to 'paint' this way than to actually use paint.  It is a very creative approach to art. 

That is about all of my activities for this weekend.  Just enough to keep me busy but not too much to make me stressed.  It's a wonderful life.

2 comments:

  1. a beautiful piece of art. what a gift to be developing a whole new relationship with "your medium" :)!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good week to me......retired or not.
    Matt

    ReplyDelete