Friday, January 13, 2012

Winter has arrived in Northern Michigan

     Well, it is a little late in the season but we did get some snow last night.  The schools were closed today in most areas of N. Michigan although I do think that in the 'old days' of working in Kingsley this wouldn't have been a snow day.  I have driven to work MANY days in weather worse than this but you know that young kids now days are a little softer and the administrators are reluctant to stick their neck out like the one I had for many years.
     The snow is pretty on the trees although I wish that it had waited a few days.  This afternoon/evening Jessica is driving up from Grand Rapids to join me taking a quilting class.  I am really looking forward to learning this technique.  The lady that is teaching the class (Ann Loveless) is quite famous in the quilting world with her landscape wall hangings that are made from many small pieces of fabric stitched on a backing.  I posted a picture a while ago of the wall hanging that Jessica and I hope to reproduce along with learning the technique.  This is the first "official' class that Jessica has taken.  She is a 'self-taught' artist.  I think it will be GREAT fun to do this together so keep her in your thoughts this afternoon as she travels north.  May the travel Gods be with her and keep me from worrying too much.  It stopped snowing here a while ago so we aren't getting any new snow.  I really think that we only got about 3-4 inches last night anyway.  Bud said that it was a little slippery under the snow but the plows are out and they are putting salt on the highways.  Most of her travels are on the highway so she should be fine.  You can tell that I am trying to talk myself into not worrying.  I hope it works.  I am also trying not to think that today is Friday the 13th.
     Jessica's visit will be a bit short because we have arranged to meet Leo in Big Rapids tomorrow night for his birthday dinner.  He is  turning 56 today.  See, he was born on Friday the 13th and that wasn't unlucky for me so my luck should hold out. 
     Enough rambling and worrying.  I hope you have a great weekend and you can look forward to LOTS of pictures of Jessica and me working tomorrow.  I am excited to spend this time with her and produce a beautiful picture.

1 comment:

  1. Mikes birthday is in Oct but he was born on Friday the 13th...a lucky day I think...hope your class was great. kathy

    ReplyDelete