Wednesday, August 8, 2012

beautiful new poppies project

This is my newest project.  I am so excited about the way it is looking so far.  Here is the back story.  My friend Kathy gave me this quilt kit for my birthday last week.  We were shopping in various quilt shops a few weeks ago and came across this quilt hanging on the wall.  We both fell in love with the poppies and the bright combinations of colors.  Of course the store didn't have most of the fabrics left and didn't have the pattern.  I came home and started checking with some of my online stores, just looking for poppy fabric.  I found the collection bit was on back order and didn't include the pattern. I became kind of obsessed with the fabric, checking every day to see if it was in and pondering buying the collection without the pattern but remembering that the pattern was special because it really 'showcased' the poppy fabric in bigger pieces and it was an unusual pattern. I continued to check my sources and trying to not buy just a yard of everything and look for a pattern that would work.  This was one time that procrastination paid off because Kathy took down the exact information and then found 2 kits on line.  She ordered one for herself and one for me as a terrific birthday gift.  I had finished off my star batik quilt and was looking for something new to make . This is perfect.  

 There will be more of the 'sashing' between these two rows but I haven't made that yet.  There is one more row to make too.  It will be about 54'x65' inches, kind of a throw size.
This picture is just a closeup of some of the fabrics.  This is the first time I have ever used a kit. All the fabric that you need for the quilt comes in the kit and you just need to cut it up and sew it together properly.  I am being very careful because there isn't a lot of extra fabric to fool around with.  I always buy extra when I am selecting fabric for a project.  (that is the way I end up with so much leftover fabric for my 'stash')

Anyway, the next problem I had was what to do with this wonderful creation that I LOVE.  We have been thinking of changing the banners that hang in our entrance.  Bud wanted me to make new banners.  I have one project that I started from a class that I took last winter but haven't gotten back to it.  I have been working on other project that were more pressing.  I also have not been that excited about hanging banners again in the entrance of our house.  I wanted a new look.  SO, I asked Bud if he minded just changing and hanging my new project on one wall.  He thought that would be a good idea so now I have a place to hang it.  I am also excited about changing the quilt with the seasons or any 'whim' that I may come up with.  I can make smaller quilts and hang them in the entrance and have a good time changing them around.  I like the idea of having a place to display my work.  Our house doesn't have a lot of extra wall space so this will work for us and show off my hobby.

I am excited to finish this project and get on to other projects to finish or make for this space.  I hope you like this idea as much as I do and I hope you will be able to visit and see them in person some time.

1 comment: