Sunday, August 26, 2012

Weekend full of fun and injuries

Saturday was a beautiful warm summer day in N. Michigan.  Bud was full of ideas on how to spend our day.    Since I am retired and have EVERY day to relax I was very happy to spend time with him and enjoy the summer weather while it lasts.  

 We were lucky to find some of the Noble kids home and available for sailing.  David and his girlfriend Danielle were very happy to join us out on the bay.  This was Danielle's first sailing adventure and it was a perfect day.  It was quite warm on land but the air cooled off as soon as we left land.  We sailed around the bay for a couple of hours.  It was nice to catch up with everyone and just relax in the sun.  We tried to get David to 'skipper' the boat but he was unwilling to take the boat away from the dock until someone else puts the first scratch in the new paint.
 Jack came along too.  They will all leave for college at the end of the week so it was great to get them out on the boat one more time before leaving town.
 Bud and I were just glad to be out on the water and to spend time with everyone.
 We had also arranged to go for a bike ride with some friends in the evening.  It was a beautiful evening and the sun was setting over the bay as we took the path through the downtown marina.  'It doesn't get any better than this'.  We are very fortunate to live in such a beautiful place and to have an day with family and friends.
 The reward at the end of the bike ride was to stop at Wonder Freeze.  Mike and his wife Nancy have been friends for a long time.  I worked with Nancy when I was single and working as a waitress at the Holiday Inn.  Bud has became friends with Mike several years ago when he was part of the J. C.s.  Mike is enjoying his ice cream and Bud his Diet Coke.  He is working very seriously at trying to lose some weight so he only had a few bites of my ice cream and his Diet Coke.
I never have been the most coordinated person and that was proven last night on the bike ride.  The path we were biking on was a little narrow and someone was coming toward me.  I kind of got nervous as I tried to stay out of the way and dropped my bike and skinned my knee and leg quite bad.  It didn't interrupt our ride too much.  We just had to swing by Bud's downtown office and clean up the blood.  He also had some band aides so I was patched up and we continued on our way.  I was in good enough shape to eat ice cream later.    It is quite a red knee and reminded me of ALL the banged up knees I had as a child.  I think my knees were covered with scabs all summer.  Riding on that gravel driveway in Coleman did leave me with a few scars, now I will have another one.  I am taking good care of the wound.  I do have a few other black and blue marks on the other leg.  I am seeing my doctor this week for my yearly physical.  I hope he doesn't think that I am being abused.  He has been encouraging me to exercise more so I will share my battle scars or as Diana calls them 'trophies' when I see him .  Maybe he will tell me to find a different sport.  The sailing was safer yesterday but probably not as much exercise.
Today is much more quiet here.  I am doing laundry and so far I haven't injured myself but the day is still young.

1 comment:

  1. Okay I must say that I am jealous of the sailing, biking, and road rash. What a great weekend.

    Matt

    ReplyDelete