Sunday, May 1, 2011

Remembering: Veterans, home, parents, and music

Friday I took a little trip down to Coleman.  The drive was uneventful as spring has not started to bloom just yet.  I didn't see any wildflowers in the woods as I drove down.  I did see a couple of swollen rivers.  The spring rains have caused a little flooding. I picked up Leo after spending a little time and money at 2 quilt/fabric stores in the Farwell and Clare area.  One of the stores is in the yard of and Amish family in Clare.  I love to stop there, find bargains and chat with the Amish ladies.  Friday 2 young girls were watching over the store.  They were a little shy but I did 'chat them up' a little. 

 Our first stop in Coleman was the new Veteran's memorial that Coleman built.  It is really quite a memorial.  They designed it after the one in Washington DC.  The newest addition is the brickwork around the statues.  Families could buy bricks and have them engraved with the names of veterans that have served our country.  Our family bought one for Dad and Glen bought one for himself.  Our cousin Denny placed the two bricks one day when he was working on the memorial.  That was a nice touch for the family.  You will see several other family members in this same location on the walkway.  If you click on the picture you can get a closer look at the brick and the inscriptions. 
 This picture just shows the location of the bricks in relation to the memorial.  Leo and I walked around the memorial about 3-4 times before we finally found our family bricks. 
 This is a picture of the whole memorial.  If you are in Coleman some time, it is worth the stop to check it out.  It is right next to the library. 
 Our second chore was to put up a For Sale sign at the farm.  Bud prepared all the necessary tools for me to use.  I was glad to have Leo along to help me figure out how to place everything.  We had the most trouble figuring out how to place the tube with fliers on the posts.  I think it is pretty secure now.  I put in a few fliers and then left a stack with Kay's daughter Kari.  I hired her son D.J. to check the tube once and a while and fill it if necessary.  They live right across the road. 
 THEN,  I decided to drop a couple of fliers off at the house.  As I was driving up the driveway, the first time since we sold the farm, it seemed a little strange to me, knowing that I was just a visitor.  I couldn't go inside and make myself a cup of coffee, bake some cookies, fix turkey or just walk around the rooms.  It isn't mine anymore but it will always be mine.  I was greeted by a white and black bulldog ( I thought of Sara and Leo and their dogs) named Lucky.  We had a dog named Lucky too when we were little.  He was a friendly dog and his owner then came walking out of the pole barn.  He had been working on something, just like old times.  I wasn't brave enough to ask to go inside, maybe next time.  I gave him the fliers and encouraged him to think about buying the whole 80 acres.  I doubt that they will but he did tell me that they are enjoying the part of the farm they have.  Earlier when we were putting up the sign, I heard a 4 wheeler and he confirmed that he loves to ride around the area on their 4 wheeler.  Again, some things never end.  It is a good place to wander around, on 4 wheeler or 2 feet.  It was getting late so I didn't have time to do any wandering on my own so no morels for me this year.
 Our final chore was to place the wreath on the grave site.  We raked a few leaves away from the stone, wondering if the spring cleanup had occurred yet, hoping that they don't do it later and throw away the wreath.  I don't have another time to go down before Memorial Day and check on it.  The flags are all in place and things look good. 
Finally, yesterday we were blessed with another concert.  This is Charlotte's final year in the Northwest Michigan Children's Choir and this was the final concert.  She looked terrific, happy but also a little sad to be leaving this important part of her life behind.  I am always pleased when we are able to attend special family events.

So, it was a weekend of remembering, veterans, home, parents, and music. 

No comments:

Post a Comment