Friday, January 29, 2010

The State of the Union

I have been pondering this topic since Wednesday night. I must admit that when we sat down in front of the TV and heard that the speech was planned to be about an hour I was a little surprised/and unhappy that the speech would be so long. I don't have a lot of patience for listening to long political speeches. HOWEVER, I was amazed at how quickly the hour went. My very first impression was of awe for this man that stood before us. He is truly an eloquent speaker. He is a man that is 'comfortable in his own skin'. I know that phrase can be overused but I really can't think of a better way to put it. I am impressed by his 'thoughtful' approach to leadership. It is a refreshing change from our previous administration. Many people criticize him for this characteristic but I think instead it should be admired. I was also impressed that he took the chance to inform the public on a couple of subjects. In my humble opinion, the Republican party seems to be better at dividing the country and the Democratic party seems to be better at 'eating their own' but it was refreshing to hear our president try to find middle ground and remind our leaders that they are only representatives of US. That leaves the people of our country to take responsibility too. We must be seek the solutions that are for the good of our country and not just for the good of one group. Change is hard and can be very scary. Many people voted for change in the last election but when change comes along they are scared by that change or are unwilling to wait for the process to work for making that change happen.

It was also refreshing to hear our president 'call out' the Supreme Court on their ruling this past week. It was VERY confusing to listen to the court turn over our election process in such a simple way. Sara did a much better job on this subject in her blog. I feel like MY first amendment rights were infringed upon by that ruling.

I know that my ramblings aren't as poetic and well worded as possible but I am new at this blogging process and up until now I have just been sharing little parts of my day. I will work on both this process and continue the little sharings of my day.

It is a wonderful nation, and I am very thankful to be a part of such a great country. I will continue to love this country and express my opinion when necessary.

I will now push the key to 'publish this post' and put it out there.

1 comment:

  1. Well put...it's encouraging to feel reassured by your thoughts.

    Thanks for sharing,
    Leo

    ReplyDelete