Thursday, February 25, 2010

Books I have enjoyed

Well, yesterday I talked about the stack of books that I have ready to read but thought I would share with you some of the books I have enjoyed. Maybe it will inspire some of you to add them to your list of books to read. I mostly read current fiction so many of these books will look familiar to you if you frequent the bookstores like me. Here goes:

1. I read the book "The Help" while on vacation. It was a very interesting book written about the maids of the south before the Civil Rights movement. I strongly recommend it.

2.Anything by Billie Letts but my favorite is "Where the Heart Is" it made me laugh.

3.Anything by Margaret Atwood. Her books really make me think. My favorite is "The Handmaids Tale" but I just finished reading "The Year of the Flood" which had an interesting environmental theme.

4.Anything by Richard Russo. My favorite is "Nobody's Fool" but I just finished a very good one called "That Old Cape Magic".

5.Anything by Pat Conroy. I just finished reading "South of Broad". Sometimes his books are a little dark but I like his style of writing.

6.Anything by Chris Bohjalian. The last one I read was "Skeletons at the Feast". I really loved "Midwives" which was one of his earlier books but this one might be a close second. Again, his books are a little dark, especially "Skeletons at the Feast" but I LOVE his style.

7.I fell in love with Ken Follett when reading "Pillers of the Earth". It is an epic tale much like James Mitchner's books. He usually doesn't write this kind of book but it is one of my all time favorite historical fiction books. He did a follow-up book called "World Without End" which I liked too. These books are VERY long so they are good books to take on a vacation although I can really get into this type of book and forget that I am on vacation.

8.I stumbled on a new author a couple of years ago. Kate Furnivall wrote two books that I have really enjoyed: "The Red Scarf" and "The Russian Concubine".

9. I also stumbled on another book by finding a list of books in a magazine at the doctor's office. I have only read one book by this author Anita Amirrezvani. I really enjoyed "The Blood of Flowers" and need to check to see if she has written anything else.

10.Another new author I came upon while on vacation was Abraham Verghese. He wrote "Cutting for Stone" and I really enjoyed this book. I don't know if he has written anything else.

11.Finally, I just discovered a new author via Leo Blandford. I read my first Christopher Moore book "Coyote Blue". It was fun reading and a little on the unusual side.

Well, that is my list of books that I have enjoyed. I hope you find a few new friends on this list.

No comments:

Post a Comment