Sunday, February 7, 2010

Long term planning

Eva came up to visit on Friday. We went out to a nice dinner Friday night. Saturday Eva and Bud spent most of the day working on long term financial planning. I was around doing little chores and listening in now and then. The conversations made me think a bit about 'long term planning' for myself. I'm not thinking about the 'financial' aspects of long term planning but instead the kind of planning I should undertake soon regarding my personal future. So far I have just been 'dabbling' in new hobbies, relaxing, reading and just enjoying the freedom of not having any plans. That state has been very nice for me. I have been surprised how easy it has been to not have any long term plans. However, I do feel a little A.D.D. about my days and weeks. Most of my activities have been quick little projects or learning experiences. I have several U.F.O. (Un Finished Objects) in my sewing room that I need to get to. I used to be more disciplined about my projects, not starting a new project before finishing an old project. I am not that way any more. Working gives me more structure to my life, and my non-working life is much more unstructured. I do have some goals and larger projects that I want to accomplish but I keep going back to the short projects that I can finish quickly. I am beginning to feel that I need to start two lists to help organize my life. I need a list of things to do in a particular day AND a list of things that I would like to accomplish 'long term'. My daily lists are easy to make and accomplish, the list of "what I want to do with my new life" is a bit more complicated. I'm glad that I don't have to come up with items on that list too soon. I am enjoying the 'moments' in my daily life but don't want to miss those 'big moments' that are memorable and define your life more. Maybe it is still too early in this retirement for me to worry about making those long term plans, I want to be open for both types of planning and hope that I can be open for all kinds of opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment